Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Fram Oil filters crap???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by GM Man, May 20, 2003.

1. GM Man

GM Man 1/2 ton status

I was on another board awhile ago and reading how a Fram Oil filter ruined a motor. Does anyone here have any bad experiences with Fram filters?

2. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

My understanding is that the bottom of the line filters are garbage. However, I was told that if you get the Tough Guard ones, they are considerably better. But still probably not as good as some other brands. Their X2 ones and racing ones are supposed to be good. Someone once also told me there are only 2-3 manufacturers of filters anyway. Wick or Wix being the best? Anybody?

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Wix and Purolator and AC got high marks. There was a guy who did a pretty unbiased destructive test on every different filter he could find and that was the long and short of it.

How much of a difference it makes over the life of an engine prolly has more to do with how regularly the oil and filters get changed, rather than brand though.

Still, after reading that article I go out of my way to find Purolator or AC for my truck/forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Rene

4. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

i had one blow apart on me on my 86 cougar with the 3.8v6 /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif ever since then i don't run them

5. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

I used to run Fram filters until I came here and read some about peoples opinions on them and read some reports on them. Now all I run is Napa Gold filters. They are made by Wix.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Now all I run is Napa Gold filters. They are made by Wix.

[/ QUOTE ]

What I buy, or Wix themselves... /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

7. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

Like some of the others, I ran Fram for years until I started hearing about how much they suck. I never had a problem with them, but now I always use AC, part # PF35.

8. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Engine Oil Filter Study

I did my own Oil Filter study. I tore apart a fram filter and a Wal- Mart Tec2000 filter. Even the cheapo wall mart filter had more paper element in it and was built more solid. The anti drainback valve worked a lot better.
    The reason I dont use frams is their antidrain back valves are crap. I have a engine oil cooler. If the oil drains back out of my lines. I can have dry start issues /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Fram used to be a good filter but sence they were bought out by a big company They put their money into advertising saying they are number 1. Not their filters. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    IMHO they are junk and I will not use them.
    Acually the Wal-mart filters are a pretty good unit.
    They are made by Champon Filters. They are the same as Lee Maxi filters and STP filters..

9. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

No, but I use Wix filters or AC delco filters /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

10. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

After reading that oil filter study article, I decided to tear apart an old Fram and compare it with an old Wix. By far, based on the materials and construction, the Wix is a better filter. I have only used Wix since then. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Fram is Junk
    AC or Bosch (same filter different paint and lable) is what I run. PO of my Burb had a Fram on it. Start up rattle was horrible fram their crappy drain back valve. Put a AC on it and it has pretty well eliminated it.
    10w40 oil is garbage as well unless it's synthetic.
    Oil filter study
    Oil review
    additives

12. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I run 10w-40. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif Maybe that is why my motor is burnig oil. It did not start this till I sarted using this oil.

13. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

So was I. Went with a 10w30 in the burb. They say the stuff they use to thicken up the base oil to get the 40 rating is more or less a wax. It clogs up the rings. My 88 owners manual for my burb flat out say's GM will void the warranty if I run a 10w40 in it.

14. RingMaster4x4

RingMaster4x4 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am changing my oil ASAP! Thakns Grim. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

15. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Back when I worked in a parts store (in the days of dinosaures, paper manuals, and suppliers who gave workers training on their product) we got all kind studies on filters, Fram was always the worst performer, even our crappy house brand was better. I will not run them. I usually run AC or NAPA Gold, sometimes Bosh, just depends where I'm shopping.

16. Blaze

Blaze 1/2 ton status

Fram filters suck. Purolator is the best (I work for them /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

BTW, the Wal-Mart brand is made by Champion which buys them from Purolator(I think). I know that Champion buys a shitload of fuel filters from us and used different names on them, I'm pretty sure they do the same with our oil filters.

17. Poohbair

Poohbair 1/2 ton status

My dad had a Fram come apart and ruin his motor... he called Fram and they basically said, "huh, sorry bout that" ...and that was it.
    Yes, Fram filters suck, and so does their customer service / support / relations.
    While I am also not a real big fan of the Napa store in general, another guy had a Napa filter w/ a stuck valve and it ruined his motor..., Napa paid for parts and labor to have a new motor put in. It took a while, but they did it.

18. Thats good to know about the FRAM filters. I also have the oil cooler on a 90' blazer and have been running 5W-30 and using 1 quart of LUCAS oil stabilizer with each oil change...anyone have experience with the LUCAS stuff??? Garbage or otherwise? /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

19. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Re: Oil viscosity,was: Fram Oil filters crap???

Out here on the left coast I can get away with it (I'm a spud cannon shot or three from the ocean), so I run single grade (usually 30wt) oil.

When multigrades break down they loose their thixotropic ability. Meaning they loose the ability to get thicker as they get hot. Very few substances can do that, and most of those that do are a chemistry trick against Mother Nature. Eventually she'll get even......

20. Re: Oil viscosity,was: Fram Oil filters crap???

40* below zero about 5 months a year lately but now that spring is here I can go up to 10w-30. What I should ask LUCAS is does their product increase the weight? It says you can mix w/ ATF or synthetic and improves start-ups @ any temp??? I just dont want to starve the oil cooler since the LUCAS stuff is like molases before it goes in. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif