Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame boxing 75 k-5

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Resurection, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Resurection

Resurection Registered Member

I am currently in the middle of a custom 75/85 body swap and am considering boxing and powdercoating the frame for strenght and durability. Can anyone tell me if this will work and what to expect?
    Brian

2. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

3. Resurection

Resurection Registered Member

Thanks for the thread. Going to have to do some rethining here. Buddy of mine mentioned possible rust problems with boxing the frame not leaving anywhere for water to escape. I will probably not end up boxing the frame but having one built sounds like that may be a long run solution.

Thanks again
    Bis

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not sure..

I know boxing a frame makes it stronger,but also more rigid--and rigid means little or no "flex"--that can lead to cracks,and cracks are worse than a bend!

Almost every "mini" pickup like toyota and nissan's,and mazda's here break in half after 10 years due to severe rust inside the boxed frames--so I'd say its not a good idea in the rust belt..

This post reminds me of "Bluebear" on "American Hot Rod"--he didnt want to box his frame in--and it cost him his job!.. :blush: