Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame boxing question

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by cybrfire, Aug 1, 2003.

1. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I am in the process of fabbing my own rear suspension. I have boxed the frame where the suspension is tied to the frame. I have always believed you should "stitch" weld or "skip" weld to a frame. Just recently I have seen photos of some boxing where it was welded solid. What is the common consensus here? So far I am going to leave it skip welded. I believe this is to prevent a single crack that could grow along the entire length of the weld and cause big problems. Also to allow a little more twisting before a crack would occur. Any thoughts?

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

If you are only going to box a portion of the frame you need to pay the most attention to the ends. Look under a s10 (front half of frame boxed) to see what I mean. You need to "fish mouth" the ends of the plate you use to box the frame. This will allow the stress in the frame to fall off slowly and not have a big "stress risor" at the end of the plate.

As far as welding it I think I would just weld it solid but I'm not a welder.