Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Brace and Oil Cooler...?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 2Dogs, Aug 3, 2001.

1. 2Dogs

2Dogs 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Stephen,
    I am currently working with Mike at Bent and Twisted on a 91 K5 build up. (you probably saw the LARGE order recently)

During the brace install, it was noticed that the oil cooler lines are in the way of bolting the bracket to the frame. Mike said he thinks he can put 1" spacers under the bracket and re-drill the crossmember. Please let us know if you have any concerns over this mod.

To the best of my knowledge, the oil cooler is stock (hmmmm, I think I remeber seeing that option in the codes also).

Have you ever run into this problem?

Thanks,

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

2. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I ran into the same problem. After messing with it enough I finally got the SOB into place. It took a few hours and I'm not sure how; but I know I got it. I'll try to remember to take a look @ it tomorrow.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 6" lift, 36" TSL Radials, 14 Bolt, Rancho 9012s

3. 2Dogs

Hey, was just chattin with you.... Any pics?

Thanks.

Dave

If You Drink Don't Park, Accidents Cause People.

91 K5 - in the process of 4" lift with D60/14FF plus LOTS of extras. ETF August 1.

4. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem, made worse by a 3" bodylift that had already stretched the lines pretty tight. I got impatient, so I somehow put my 15" Crescent wrench onto the skinny end of the brace and pretty much muscled it into place.
    Done right?? Hell no...
    Holding up?? Seems to be... No oil leaks from the lines, and my 3" bodylift will soon be swapped out in favor of the ORD 1" (soon-to-be-ordered, Stephen...).

It's always darkest just before it goes pitch-black...
    [​IMG] <font color=green>Semper Maintenance!<font color=black>

5. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

The box brace is generally not compatible with the factory oil cooler lines in the factory position. I know Steve Fox had to mess with this, and I had his K5 in the shop friday and didn't look at it, oops.

I would recommend re-routing the lines rather than messing with the brace, generally plumbing is easier than fab work. You should be able to look at running them under or on top of the crossmember, especially if you're running a body lift.
    You might post on the main board asking for techniques for what other people have done, and maybe some pics. There's lots of ways of skinning this cat.

Making the world better, one truck at a time.
    SW-ORD

6. 2Dogs

Thanks Stephen and All other members,
    We are looking at it....

Dave

Saw It... Wanted It... Had A Fit... Got It