Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Brace- Does it even fit a 2wd??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Pookster, Apr 27, 2005.

1. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Knowing that this is a somewhat weak part in our trucks, is this still a consideration for the 2wd versions? I've never heard of anyone putting it in either...

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

there is a 2wd version. Not sure if ORD sells it but I know the person who makes the braces has one.

One of my dad's employees cracked his frame on his 2wd by the steering box. My dad and he made a redneck brace and frame patch.

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Is it needed though? I dont want to put money into something that isnt needed.

4. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

not a bad idea....

I had a 74 C10 that had cracked the frame behind the steering box--but I just had it welded and never bothered to try and brace it,and it never cracked again--but I think a brace would have been a good idea to help make it less likely to happen again..my truck never had big tires or anything that wasn't stock as far as suspension,so I guess even the 2wd's can have frame woes at the steering box--I've seen only 2 or 3 other 2wd's that cracked the frame there,its not as common as the 4x4's with lift kits and big tires,but still occurs sometimes... :crazy:

5. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

FWIW, my '87 C10 diesel donor's frame is cracked at the steering box. Part of the reason I got the whole truck for $100........

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

if you mean steering box frame brace then yes same exact deal 4x2 and 4x4

another trick is to find 70s 3/4 ton 2wds and 1 ton 2wds for parts/junk and take out the frame braces inside the frame rails right under the engine mount frame trees, most all of them have them but not every single one, and mostly in the 73-80 trucks only,

put them in 1/2 ton and 4x4 frames and such to beef the engine mount frame area

they even fit in the 63-72 frame rails, i put some 76 c20 ones in a 68 2wd frame when i put 72 front cradle and suspension on in place of original

i think i threw all mine away that i had saved from 3/4 and 1 ton strip downs
    they are a special factory bracket maybe i shoulda saved them, hmm..

its been a while now

good luck

7. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

HMMMmmmmm

I saw those things on my 74 K20 frame I'm gonna scrap--they look like triangles,that go between the motor mount crossmember and the sway bar bracket area-I should chop them out!(maybe the frame section behind the box too!)--maybe thats why the frame on that truck has not cracked behind the steering box(just yanked the box off yesterday,no cracks!)--despite this truck having a lift kit,huge tires,and being off roaded and plowed!--it did shear off nearly every rivet on the crossmembers though,they put bolts AND welded it to the frame!..must have helped though,the frame did not crack..

While looking at the crossmember the motor mounts bolt too,it apppeared to me you could unbolt it from the frame,and rotate it 180 degrees,to move the motor mounts forward--like where you need them to be when installing a caddy 500 motor... :thinking: wonder if anyone tried that before?? :confused: looks like it might work.. :crazy: