Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame brace

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by JDELBLAZ, Mar 17, 2000.

1. JDELBLAZ

JDELBLAZ 1/2 ton status

has any one ever installed the frame brace from offroad design if so will it help my problem what seems to be happening is the frame the whole side where the box is is flexing alot and i do have the plates welded on it but now its macking a popping noise when i turn or flex the suspention a bit need your opinions or addvise

2. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    With the noises you box is making still even after having more steel welded onto it, I'd think that the holes are already enlarged. You may beable to try the ORD brace. Another option would be to take a welder, fill in the parts of the holes that are oblonged and weld flat again.

Corey
    88K5

[​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

3. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

The brace is a good investment, but first you need to find out exactly where that poping is coming from. If you don't, you may be just prolonging the inevitable.

4. Waxer

Waxer 1/2 ton status Author

I occasionally get a popping noise too. I dont have any braces whatsoever and I run 35's so it looks like I need to pull the gear box and inspect the frame in that area eh? doh!!!

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Guys, spend the time checking out that sound, flexing, etc. MAKE the time. I learned about 6 years ago the hard way, my 75 (with a 454) had that problem, thought it was something minor, finally pulled my head out of my a$% long enough to crawl under it one day, found the frame almost totally sheared off from cracking that had gone on wayyyy too long. Instead of a simple bolt/weld on patch kit, I had to replace the frame in that section! NOT fun and NOT cheap. Check the frame, get the ORD gusset and put it in. Money well spent.

'79 - 406 w/IROC TPI - K5#5 - a <font color=orange>sickness[​IMG] <font color=blue>you never get enough of!! [​IMG]

6. Jason73K5

Jason73K5 1/2 ton status

BlazzinOR is right, if you don't check it soon, it will bite you in the butt at the worst possible time. I know from experience too. My frame broke completely about 100 miles into a trip from Virginia to California. It made for a very interesting trip!

7. Hobbes68

Hobbes68 Registered Member

When I got my truck, it also had a welded frame reinforcement plate, but the steering box still moved around. I drilled out the steering box mounting tabs and rethreaded them to accept larger bolts that fit snugly in the holes in the frame. 2 + years later and no problems. Even still, I plan to install the ORD brace when I get a chance.