Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame changes

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by G.M.H, Nov 2, 2002.

1. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

Can anyone tell me when GM made major changes to blazer frames? Also, are any of them substantialy stonger than others? I have a willys p/u body on a 1981 frame. The frame has cracked on the top behind the transfer case. I added a x-member there and it seems to have fixed that spot. It is now cracked on the drivers side top, just at the rear of the engine. This spot was kinked before i swapped bodies. I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. Any info would be appreciated. thanks.

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

Over all I dont think there were any major changes to the blazer frame. All Blazer frames are the weakest 4x4 frames GM ever put under a truck (well I dont know about anything after the 1991 model years...). The 1/2 ton pickup frame was slightly stronger, the 3/4 ton was a little better than than and the 1 ton was one of the best regular production pickup frames for overall strength. You can also look for a 1-1/4 ton Military frame with the extra reinforcements if you need something stronger than the std 1 ton. Shortening the wheelbase on one of those frames would not be any more complicated than swapping the willeys p/u body to the blazer frame.

If your frame had a kink in it before you built your truck you probably had a problem to begin with. Do you know if it had ever been wrecked and not repaired?

3. G.M.H

G.M.H Registered Member

No, I do not know if it had been wrecked. It was very rusty though, which doesn't help. Someone told me once that some blazers had parallel frame rails, while mine bowes out at the middle. Does anyone know if this is true,and what years? Has anyone boxed one of these frames? Do any of the trucks have a wheelbase close to 106.5"?

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Cracking in the back is not common at all. Cracking around the steering box is common on all these trucks. Cracking just infront of the fire wall is not unheard of.
    The frames are not parrelle but close. The only MAJOR change in the 73-91 blazer frames is in 78 the changed to allow for a rear seat foot well. The only other change came in 81 and that was a change at the frame horns that effected the bumper mounting but nothing else.

5. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

ALSO...../forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

In '81, along with the front frame horn changes, all the body mounts were changed, too. The '80 and older frames had different sized rubber mounts. '81 and newer ones had the same matching sized mounts. This means the steel mounts that are riveted to the frames are different, too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

I would say it sounds like you need a new frame. Get one that is not terribly rusty to start with. None of the pickups are close to the 106.5" but they can be shortened fairly easily since your body does not care about the original blazer body mounts anyway.