Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame crack at steering gear

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by diamond back, Apr 27, 2004.

1. diamond back

diamond back Registered Member

Anyone know of a good weld shop that will fix frame rails and add this BDS reinforcement kit to my rig?? Im in Littleton around Arapahoe and Broadway area and its only got 2" of frame rail left cant really drive too far and Bear Frame and Axle wants like 750-1000+ to seam it and add the brace and thats way out of my budget right now all my friends say they do good work buy I need a more reasonable price cause I just dumped 4000 into her this year. Any places you guys can think of would be awesome RIGHT NOW IM STUCK IN MY @#RD PROBE HELP. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

Do you do most of the work on your truck yourself? If you do then remove the steering box and anything else near the crack and clean it off to check for other cracks. Any cracks you find need to be stop drilled (drill a hole at the end of the crack to releive the stress) and the crack needs to have a V shaped groove put in it. Then look in the phone book for someone who does portable welding and find out if they have experience doing this type of work. It'll be alot cheaper than the shops will charge.

3. 79Stomper

79Stomper 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Second that. I tore down mine myself and had a friend wheel a cart over and weld it up for free. Went ahead and overhauled my whole steering set up while I had everything apart too.

4. diamond back

How wide should the v chanle be. I do my own work but cant weld. If you know any moble welders that are good let me know please. cant do any thing until tomarrow any way. Thanks

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Welcome to the site! /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/woot.gif Do us a favor and fill out your profile. Depending on where you are located, there is usually a member or two near you that can weld. I'm sure someone would be willing to help you out if they are near by. Especially for ALOT cheaper than a grand. Usually it just takes food and beer /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    good luck!

6. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

Dude, this a very common prob, I fixed mine a long time ago, if you can get it by my place I'l do it for pizza, you bring parts, pizza and milk to drink,(heartburn)we'll fix it in an an afternoon /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gifBe nice to know where you are. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

7. diamond back

Tanks where do you live and what is you phone number
    aka /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gifBurn

8. diamond back

Sorry i live in littleton in by arapaho cumity colage. my number is 720-275-9297 and if i bring the pizza and milk and we get fixed up and going i can help you out with any computer probles you have that is my job computer geek jk.

Burn /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

9. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

10. diamond back

Hay Thanks a lot that is excatily what I need the artical on thebds is great. that will help a lot.

Burn /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif

11. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

sounds like ur about 12-15 hrs from me.save your fuel and pizza money, call any mobile welder, they should be able to grind and weld all the cracks + weld on the repair kit for under 100.00. I just got off the phone wiyh a pro welder here in SLC. said maybe 2 hours /100.00 , sounds right to me. but offer stands get it here w/parts,pizza and I'll get it done /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif

12. diamond back

give me your address and i will look it up on mapqest and figure out a way to get out there. Thank a gain

Burn /forums/images/graemlins/peace.gif /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif
    you can e-mail me at burn_denny@hotmail.com