Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Crack & Body Stress Cracks...

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Triaged, Aug 6, 2003.

1. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I noticed a frame crack on my K5 2 weeks ago /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif...
    Last weekend it had gotten bigger (I don't know how that happened /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif).

The crack is in front of the steering box where the front spring hanger/body mount are rivited on /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. It started in the slotted hole and goes up through the rear most line of rivits. I used this as an excuse to buy myself a welder /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif. It is a Miller 175.

I also have found mulitipal body stress cracks. I even have cracks in the upper corners of the glove box /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif along with some on the doors, and core support.

I've really got to do something about this. One of my thoughts on the cause is the I-beam stiff rancho springs I have up front. Another cause I can think of is the poly body mounts.

Looks like I won't be wheel'n for a few weeks now...I think I'm going to swap in some 73-up springs in the front...It shouldn't be that hard to move the spring hanger 1.5" forward if I already have to have it off.

Also has any body thought about replacing ALL of the cross member rivits with bolts? A good # of mine seem to be loose /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. ntaj*ep

ntaj*ep 1/2 ton status

I have drilled out 2 of my hanger rivits and replaced them with bolts. The rivits were very loose. I will look at mine tonight and see the area you are talking about on mine. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. TONYP

TONYP 1/2 ton status

my front cross member rivits are almost gone on the left side, truck pops and snaps when I turn.I just need to find the time to cut what little is still holding them on , I have all new SS bolts and lock-nuts ready to go on...will replace as many as I can get too... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

SS bolts? Sure that's strong enough?