Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame crack fiasco

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by Fry, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

I bought a 75 blazer awhile back that had a crack in the frame (steering box) fixed by an incompetent 4x4 shop. Anyway all the guy did was plate along the bottom of the frame and weld the crack on the vertical part of the frame.
    As the story goes I was driving along and the steering felt very loose so I got underneath and noticed the steering box loose so I tightened it and noticed the box would still move, that brought my attention to crack coming from this booger of a weld around one bolt hole.
    So I immediately took it to a welding shop where I had to take the steering box of for them and I seen the damage, one of the bolt holes looked like a large oval and one of the cracks went up the top corner part of the frame and continued towards the front of the truck to the cross member. The welding shop welded the hole so it was back to normal shape and welded up the crack, but never plated anything. This made the steering box not able to be tightened up so I had to but some washers to even everything out. Now when I drive I have to tighten the bolts up every now and then since they won't stay tight.

Now my question to you is in order to use you kit I would have to grind my bolt holes down to size for the plate to fit flush. That will leave a big oval bolthole is your kit heavy duty enough to support the entire load of that bolt? Do you think after all this welding that your kit will fit flush anyway? Can you double up on the plates, or would that not accomplish anything. I am just concerned since this frame is kind off a mess right now and I'd rather not spend money on it if it won't help. You guys don't offer any plate for the inside rails of the frame do you?
    Would buying a frame from the bump stop forward be an option?
    I will try to get a picture from the back to somewhat help for explanation purposes.
    I would really like to get this fixed so I don’t have to worry about it since this is my daily driver.
    Thanks for the help

2. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

You're right, the outside of the frame needs to be pretty smooth for the plate to sit over it properly. When you install the plating you should have some bolts tighted up in the holes to make it all seat properly.
    As for building the holes in, maybe you could weld some washers in for the bolt holes or just build the hole up with some weld to get it to a decent size?
    With the plate on the outside, you can put a big washer on the inside of the frame and use the box brace to help stabilize it. The washer would provide a good place for the brace to seat against.
    Hope this helps, fixing stuff like this is always a pain and requires some good fabrication work to make it all right.

3. Fry

Fry 1/2 ton status

okay, one of my problems is that to get a welding shop to do it I need to take my steering box of myself or they are going to charge me huge, so do it in their lot or tow it over.
    I can weld alright and am capable of doing this but only have access to one welder and thats at work which I have to sneak in to use or the safety nazi will get mad.
    Hopefully I'll get a garage soon and do it there.