Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame crack & patch - flux wire core welder OK?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by rcamacho, Mar 17, 2005.

1. rcamacho

rcamacho 1/2 ton status

I've ordered the brace and patch kit from ORD. I'm a welding newbie but am considering picking up a flux core wire welder @ Costco. Q: will a wire feed rig have enough penetration to weld up the crack and the patch?

2. AkMudr

AkMudr 1/2 ton status

IMHO being real new to welding and trying to tackle a job like this, its best to have someone weld it who has some experience, mainly becuase if its a not-so-good job, it would just be more prone to cracking again. If you are confident then by all means have at it. Just somethin to consider.

3. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

To answer your question, in addition to what AkMudr mentioned, as long as whatever welder you get is capable of 125/135 amps, it will be sufficient. :)

4. dark eternal

dark eternal Registered Member

Flux core will actually penetrate more than a solid wire with gas, just not as clean of a weld. I agree though, unless you have some experiance welding I would get a friend or a welding shop to do it. A shop would probably only charge 20 or 30 bucks.