Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame crack repair progress and one question..pics..inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Sep 22, 2003.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

As you can see by the pics I have been busy working on this truck. Here is my question. The engine cross member is riveted in so I decided to weld the edges of the cross member to the frame. Also I did the same with the front most cross member as well and welded some angle plate to tie in the frame and the front cross member. Then I looked at where the springs mount to the perches in the front and they are riveted too. Should I weld these to the frame as well. Also the front cab mounts (above the perches) are also riveted in. Should I weld these in as well. I know some flex is good but I hate rivets. Thanks. See pics of progress. [​IMG][/url]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

Id grind the rivets off and replacethem with grade 8 bolts. I did it to my front crossmember and im thinking about doing it to the rest of the frame butt itll be alot of work.

3. loudnowlouder

loudnowlouder 1/2 ton status

grade 8!!!
    welding to the frame isnt a good idea when the holes are already there...the previous owner of my truck decided to weld the transfer case crossmember to the frame for added support. what a pain in the asss when it had to come out.

4. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

The rivets are still in their place. I figure that the crossmember has been there for over 17 years so it is not going anywhere so why not add some strength and support to them. If I have to ever remove the crossmember then that is what my plasma cutter is for. Yes drilling out the rivets and replacing with grade 8 bolts is a good idea. I may do this but while I have the engine out I think getting in there and welding will be a little easier right now.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Not to cut you down or anything, but you've got some serious cleaning to do before you weld anything.

6. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

Rivets allow the frame to move a little w/o tearing stuff loose like welds can do. I'd leave the rivets alone except where you need to remove them for some mod.
    Same for welding x-members in. Unless you can structurally reinforce the whole frame so that it's one rigid piece I'd leave them alone. Bolt any braces in place.
    Fish plating cracks is a different deal. Try not to cut the plates with edges that are straight across the web or the flange of the frame, cut them at angles or even do a flat 'fishmouth' to them. The idea is to not create new places for cracks to form.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Take a closer look...he's already welded.

8. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I do see clean metal so I assume there's welds there. My eyesight isn't THAT good.

9. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

wow dude, that looks like a nice braceing job, i decided to brace my frame too due to rust, stupid rust, but looks good to go /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Yes I grinded the spots to be welded. From the pics it looks all rusted but I made sure the weld points are clean with a nice grinded surface. Also when I cut my steel I square it up on the Bridgeport Milling machine when I can.

11. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Sweet dude. When you doing mine?

12. thefarside

thefarside 1/2 ton status

Wow, you should not have a welder! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif