Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Crack Welding Info Wanted

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by landsmasher, Jul 21, 2002.

1. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

Doing the Steering Box Frame Crack thing. My question is, when doing the V groove thing to the cracks in the frame, how deep and how wide should they be? What should I look for while doing it? And then how far should I grind it all down to the frame surface?

Just trying to get it right the first time... /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

2. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

I wouldn't go much deeper than half the thickness of the frame- Maybe alittle more. Just don't go so deep that you burn holes when ya weld it. As far as how wide, Just to make it simple, just go as wide as a grinding wheel. Are you installing the steering brace thing too? If your doing that, grind it down flush with the surface of the frame. If not, and it won't interfere with the mounting of the steering box, I'd leave it.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would use a regular grinding disc and 'V' groove the crack just over half the thickness of the material. Weld it up and then do the same to the backside if you can. If there is little or no acess to the backside of the cracks then grind a little deeper. At a little over half the material depth you should get 100% penetration or very close to it.

If you need to grind it flush be carefrul not to grind into the surrounding 'parent' material'

Rene

4. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

If I could think what name of it is. Tool looks like an acorn shaped drill bit, used to port heads and what not. We used it to make a nice clean path then welded it up.

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

That would be a carbide burr for a die grinder. They have many shapes and sizes too. I have one that's like a ball about 3/8" diameter and another that commonly known as a 'rats tail'. Kinda conical and comes to almost a point. They would work well on a Dremel tool too.

Rene

6. Zeus33rd

Zeus33rd Smarter than you GMOTM Winner

What are you gonna use to weld it?

7. landsmasher

landsmasher 1/2 ton status

I'll be using a Lincoln wire welder. Flux core wire... I can't install the steering brace because I have a PTO winch and the drive shaft for it is in the way. I'll check out the die grinder thing... Thanks Guys! /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. lizard

lizard 1/2 ton status

Dont forget to drill out the ends of the cracks or they will come back!!