Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame crack

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mattm, Sep 14, 2005.

1. mattm

mattm Registered Member

I've got a crack at the steering box in the frame any ideas on repair ? I found a reinforcing bracket on the net, are nthese weld in. also if any one has any tips for getting the retaining ring off of warn hubs I 'd appreciate it thanks in advance I' m kind of new to four wheeler building.

2. randy88k5

randy88k5 1/2 ton status

Well, unfortunately, the gear box mounting area is fairly prone to cracking in out vehicles. Offroad design sells a weld in repair kit and a bolt on steering brace to help prevent future cracking. I highly recommend using the brace. Some people have differing opinions on the weld in kit, but Im gonna use that too. Im sure you can search to find some more info on it. The cracks need to be fixed before anythin though.

www.offroaddesign.com

For the retaining rings, there are two. One on the end of the axleshaft, and a big one around the inside of the hub. A small screwdriver can pry the big one out fairly easially. The smaller one you might need to keep working at it to knock it out of the groove. A snap-ring plier would work well if you have one.

Good luck...

3. highrlr

highrlr 1/2 ton status

Im not an expert at fixing cracks by any means but from what i understand to properly repair the crack you will want to drill a small hole on each end of the crack. This will stop the crack from growing any larger, you will then want to grind the surface of the crack into a V, this will give you better penetration when you weld it. Oh and if the crack is vertical make sure to weld it from bottom to the top. Once your done welding it grind it smooth and then weld on the frame brace or get a bolt on brace or both. I personnally went with both just to be safe! Hope that isnt too confusing :doah:

4. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Do a search for frame crack and look at the posts in the first dozen or so pages.

5. mattm

mattm Registered Member

thanks again guys I did the search I'll probably use the ord kit is stick welding alright or should I mig it either way I"ve gotta buy one . my welding ain't too bad my verticals look like snot but they hold. I just don't have access to welder outside of work. th larger ring is giving me the problem on the hubs I brought some picks home gonna try that tomorrow

6. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Using the frame support does any holes need to be drilled into the frame? Is this just a bolt in?