Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Crack

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by MudFrog, Jul 11, 2000.

1. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Ok we all know about the crack chevy's get right under the steering box. This happened to my old truck. My question is is it the width or weight of the tires that does it? I'm pretty sure it's the width, because there is more grip. The reason I'm asking is as soon as I can find a cheap set of 15x10's I'm gonna add my new tires ( 31x13.50). And I wanted to know if I should take some precaution. Anyone know what exactly causes it?

89 K5 Silverado

2. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I am not to sure what causes it but if you plan to modify your truck in the future, you should re enforce or install a brace now.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

3. chevy4x4

chevy4x4 1/2 ton status

I've hears people say that it doesn't happen when the truck is stock but I also heard other people that say it happens when the truck is stock too.

<font color=red>Chevy4x4<font color=red>[​IMG]
    http://fourbyfour.coloradok5.com

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

5. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

Well the frame at the box is fine on the Knight, but the crossmember at the engine mounts is cracked right at the passenger side motor mount, first time I've heard of this one.....this weekend the welder gets dusted off.[​IMG]

<font color=blue>White Knight</font color=blue>[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

6. nyyef

nyyef 1/2 ton status

someone correct me if i am wrong, i think due to the weight of the truck, with turning the steering wheel, the steering box is pushing against the frame and kinda twists it. the problem comes when you lock the steering wheel to one side and hold (also ruins the pump and box), add large tires (more strain to turn). also the steering box bolts have a habit of coming loose, this makes it worse.

Knife.

7. Eric78K5

Eric78K5 1/2 ton status

I haven't heard of stock one's having this problem. My 78K5 has god only knows how many miles on it, and my steering mount is still ok. But it's only had stock size tires on it. I'm going to do the upgrade before I add the lift and 35's!

8. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

When it cracked on my old truck I was running 35x14.50 Thornbirds, so needless to say with the grip I had on the road with them things it was gonna crack. But the MT don't have anywhere near the grip those things did.

89 K5 Silverado

9. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

My 75 I had a few years ago did it big time - factors at work - 4" lift, 35" tires, 454 motor with a lumpy cam, and a heavy right foot. THink it is a combo of all things, seems the lifts create more leverage on the frame, and the steering boxes twist the frame.........not a good thing. On that one, I had to graft in a piece of the frame, was too far gone to repair it. Fix it now.

<font color=black>'79 K5 - 406 w/IROC TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>http:// www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com

10. MudFrog

MudFrog 1/2 ton status

Well it's not broke. I was just wondering if I should take precautions on my stock vehicle before I put my new tires on. I deff. will add it one day If I ever get a lift and some 36".

89 K5 Silverado