Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame cracks? frame weakening? worth saving?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by sled_dog, Sep 16, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Alright here it goes, it may be a long one need opinions though. Started looking at my K5 today, namely the frame. I had a friend press down the clutch while I watched and looked around for cracks. Same as before when you press the clutch the frame rail sort of twists and pushes out towards teh fender. The top of the rail moves the most since its closest to the clutch and the bottom barely moves. The spring shackle on the drive side seems to be bent like this // towards the inside of the frame. The leaf spring seems to be twisted as well. When I look at the mount for the shackle it looks like the bottom of it is spaced away from the frame, like its slightly seperated from the frame. When I had my friend turn the steering wheel the frame moves around by the steering box. Like the steering box is pulling the frame out. Is that a sign of a crack? My steering has felt very sloppy and weird and I suspected a crack for a while. Now I'm sitting here wondering if these things are indicating some damage that I should be scared about. I don't know if I should bother with my K5 or what.

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

When I bought my K5 it had REALLY bad cracks all around the steering box. I had it repaire because I drive it everyday and I dont want the steering box to fall off(I have heard of that happening) It cost me $1200 though but it was worth it. If you dont have any cracks I would really suggest going to the AUTOFAB web sit and buying that guys frame strengthening kit. I put on on my truck . Its a lot better that those crappy patects you get everywhere else. The guy at autofab told me he put on in a bronco like 30 years a got and its still oin there and the frame has never cracked. I think it costs somewhere around $100.

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

those are the same as ORD's brace kit. I would patch and brace it if its cracked. The steering box isn't a big worry, I will fix that but if the frame back farther is bad I don't know.

4. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

holy crap dude what did u spend $1,200 bucks on?

5. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

getting the frame fixed. It had REALLY bad cracks. one went from about 2 inches in front of the stering gear box to about 3 inches after it, and lots of little spider web cracks. It was really a mess.

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Have you checked to make sure all the rivets are still tight? When I was replacing the cracked engine crossmember, I noticed that one of the rivets was loose enough to spin in it's hole.

I doublechecked all the ones holding the leaf spring brackets for that soon after.

7. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thining I will have to drill out the leaf spring mount rivets and get some grade 8 bolts and bolt it together cause the mount definetally seems to be seperated from the frame at the bottom. I am thinking I will conver to Hydraulic clutch, that will fix my issue with that. Also my body mount bolt nearest there seems to be loose cause the body lifts up a little when you press the clutch too.

8. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I am working on this on my K-10. I plow with it and the cracks are large. Some say it could not be fixed and to get a new frame. I posted on a message board that allows me to post pics so go here for the post of the frame repair. It takes some time but I feel it will be well worth it. I already have the ORD brace for the steering box as well but the push plates take a toll on the frame. So along with making it a little stonger I will also extend the push plates as well to distribute the weight a little better. Hope this helps.
    T.J.
    www.tjsperformance.com -- if it does not exist we can make it.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

TJS,

Paying members can post pics. Consider it, it's worth it!!

10. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Actually I can ref. them on my web server but it is kinda full right now so I need to clean it up and then I can ref. them and post em.

11. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

In the area of the crossmember's, if you can weld on the edge's of the frame only, no harm will be done to the frame, it won't hurt the crossmember's either.

In the area of the steering box,just get the weld/in plate, and go that route.

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

steering box I am doing the weld in route and for the other stuff well there is no crossmember near it, but I am gonna convert to Hydraulic clutch and poly body bushings, I think it will be fine after that.