Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame cracks...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by tRustyK5, Dec 3, 2002.

1. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Well my project 6.2 swap has gotten totally out of hand. I counted on some small extra projects but at the moment there is no front clip, the D44 is gone and the truck looks like an ugly parts donor.

I have never had my steering box off the truck but I also never saw any cracking so i wasn't too worried about it. With the front clip off, no motor and no diff under the front it was the ideal time to add the repair kit regardless of whether it was cracked or not. After removing the box we did find one crack.

[​IMG]

This is not my frame crack...it is the UAV's. Mine cracked in exactly the same place though. Even the length and direction of the crack is nearly identical. I'll be adding a steering box brace from Howling Off Road as well as the frame repair kit from ORD.

If you haven't had the chance remove a tire and grab a trouble light and check your frame. I had no reason to believe mine was cracked. No wander, no noise etc...

Rene

2. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

So that crack that both you and steve have, would only be visible with the steering box removed, right?

3. tRustyK5

You should be able to see that crack with the steering box in place. The crack ends on the underside of the frame rail. With some de-greaser and a trouble light I could probably have seen it with the box on.

Rene

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I wish mine was that bad... my cracks are spider web'd all over the frame, under the box. I keep chasing them with the mig to buy some time to get the weld on kit and brace in there! Theres nothing worse than being too busy to work on your own truck!

Off topic but - Did you ever try the BB trick as a balancer?

5. tRustyK5

I've had the weld on kit for a while...having the truck completely stripped it seemed like a good time to do it. Being out of work again leaves my sched for working on the truck pretty open too/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I haven't tried the BB's yet, but I know Depdog did with his 39.5's. I believe he pulled the BB's out though. You may want to pm him for more details.

Rene

6. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

I have an extra cleaned engine crossmember that only appears to have a small crack if you need one, free of charge.

outa work again! dam that blows

BTW wifes car got broken into, so no more digi camera.
    I was too tired on return from Cali run, wifey said 'leave your stuff in the car til morning'.
    drivers door was pulled out at the top, stuff gone. /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

7. tRustyK5

My crossmember had one small crack less than 2" long...a few minutes with the welder and it's OK again. Sucks about the camera...I guess I should have borrowed it a bit earlier and it wouldn't have been stolen. Is insurance gonna cover the loss?

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    outa work again! dam that blows

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, it seems like I can't catch a break this year./forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Rene

8. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

ICBC says NO, household has a $500 deductible IIRC
    interestingly enough the neighbors car got B&amp;Ed as well, and someone was caught with their credit card.
    I called the local constibulary to enquire as to what attempts were made to see if the lil scum had my camera but suprizingly they dont seem to want to discuss the matter with me.
    I now see the point of having all these cops floating around on my tax dollars /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

9. tRustyK5

I'm sure you can also see the value of having insurance on the car. No matter what happens it isn't covered so why bother having it?

Rene

10. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Mine cracked just like that too. It cracked in one wheeling trip to Disney Oklahoma. I know it was fine for this trip because I installed the crossover just before leaving. I vee'd out the crack and welded it up, then installed the ORD repair kit and it looks pretty solid.

11. tRustyK5

Yeah, the repair kit actually helps triangulate the frame as well as solidify the mounting area. I have a steering brace coming from Howling Off Road in the next few days that I'll be adding too. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

12. unsane

unsane Guest

Just curious, couldn't you stop-drill those cracks as oposed to welding them? Or do a stopdril andthen weld them? In the past most everything I have stop-drilled has not cracked any further. Just thought id throw that in..

13. SkulzNBonz

SkulzNBonz 1/2 ton status

Yeah, if you drill out the ends of the cracks, then notch and weld them up, they won't run any further.

John

14. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yeah I agree, I never buy more than just liability, I take my chances with everything else, and what I save in premiums covers my repairs and theft.
    As for the cracks, definitely drilling a hole is good for stopping a crack but you have to weld it if you wheel it.
    Also a very good way if the crack isn't wide open is to grind a V groove all along the crack and fill it for sure penetration.
    Mine was wide open actually the frame seperated and the box ripped out. so when I pulled it together there was a gap of 1/16" and it was easy to fill it all the way.
    As many have said, even if you don't see a crack be sure to check carefully and if you wheel hard with more than 31" tires, take of the box and check, then for safety, put a brace.

15. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Also a very good way if the crack isn't wide open is to grind a V groove all along the crack and fill it for sure penetration.

[/ QUOTE ]

I weld and fabricate steel for a living...including 5 years repairing and building heavy trucks, but thanks for the tips.

Rene

16. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Sorry, I started with a reply for you but that comment was for everyone.
    /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

in my experience
    you cannot see the actual end of the crack with the naked eye.
    not sure how you would find the actual end of the crack to drill it.
    when chasing the crack with the welder the heat seems to make the full crack visible.

18. desertrat67

desertrat67 Hawk Driver

What size bit would oyu use for stop drilling? Just larger than the crack or what?

19. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

mine is just a small 1/8 circle around the top front bolt hole. but i got a weld in kit soon and a frame brace on the way.
    thats on my 74

my 76 has BAD cracking. and even worse repairs and BAD cracking on top of that. thinking about getting a frame and boxing it. then putting the boxed frame under the 74 and oxing that frame and putting it under the 76....
    musical frames i guess. then the "old" 76 frame could stand by to be a buggy with rockwells
    Grant

20. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Here's a pic of my cracked frame on my plow truck as of now. And it could snow here any day. Gonna try to make a re-inforcing plate/brace and repair it tomorrow.