Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame crossmember rivets??

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by bckinblk, Sep 25, 2002.

1. bckinblk

bckinblk 1/2 ton status

I was under my k-5 and noticed that I busted 2 more factory rivets .Would it be better to drill out all of them and replace with bigger grade 8 bolts ??or weld them together?? I was thinking of using 1/2 inch bolts has anyone done this?? does it solid up the truck??? thanks for any info in advance.

2. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

drill them out and use the grade 8's and forget about it /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. JK5

JK5 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Yah...I agree....and use locking style NUTS......RED Lock-tite and You'll never have a worry!! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

4. blk87K5

blk87K5 1/2 ton status

I would definately suggest you use ny-lock (sp?) nuts. Won't have to worry about them being tight anymore.

5. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I have drilled out and replaced most of the rivets in my rig now. Mostly due to getting rid of things I don't need, or moving things like the suspension and cross members. I replaced them with 1.25" x 0.375 G5 bolts, flat washers, split washers, and nylock nuts. These are a perfect "bolt on" /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif (i.e. fits the rivet hole exactly) replacement for the rivets with double or triple layers of steel to go through. I did not Lock-Tite mine but, if I knew it was not going to be moved, and it was a daily driver, I would probably add that just for piece of mind.

6. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

Grade 5 or 8 will be fine. You can use a 3/8, but it would be better to drill out the hole for a TIGHT fit with either 7/16 or 1/2 bolts. I prefer pinch lock nuts, I have NOT had good luck with ny-locks. Flat washers are also a good idea, especially on the nut side. I would check the torque on them after running them for a month or so, then locktite 'em.

7. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

that is what mine is done with.
    I have heard them refered to as 'stovers' nuts
    last frame was welded