Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame cutting

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 1986chevy_rider, Dec 8, 2006.

1. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

Well Im thinking about taking my bed off and cutting my frame to the rear of the leaf springs is this a good frame mod what do I do to finish the frame if anything thanks

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

you will need to make new mounts for the bumper or add a new crossmember at the new rear of the frame

3. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I am doing exactly what you are talking about. Frame has about 2.5-3" past the shackle hanger. I have a big piece of 4x2x0.25" wall tube I am going to weld into the resulting "hole" that will serve as "bumper" and crossmember. Of course, if you do this, you won't be able to keep your gas tank in the stock location. I'm going to a cell mounted higher up, so I don't care... but something to think about if you still have the stock stuff.

j

4. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

he doesn't have to worry about a gas tank. If you are taking a bed off the you have a pickup. not a blazer or suburban. Definitely add some type of crossmember to stiffen it up afterwards. If you've got skills then this would be a good time to make a custon bumper with a reciever and some D rings. good luck and take lots of pics.

5. 1986chevy_rider

1986chevy_rider Registered Member

allright thanks for the help. and yes it is on a truck and I was thinkin of going to a fuel cell anyways on a custom flat bed that I want to build.

6. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

Might want to box in the rear half of the frame while you're in there.

7. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

If you`re going to box the frame at all, do it all. If you do only the rear, all it will do is give you a weaker link in the frame.:deal:

8. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

strengthening one spot does not make another weaker. Any boxing done makes the overall strength higher. twisting and flexing is what weakens frames. if you eliminate flex over half the frame then you have helped cut down flex over the other half.

9. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I agree with everyone that says you have to build a new crossmember back there, but would add one thing. Run some braces from the new crossmember about 5-10" back on the frame. It just stiffens things up a bit. If you have the abliity or the time put another crossmember up by the front of the springs with the same style gussets. I have done this very thing to one truck it really seemed to stiffen up the frame.