Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Difference GMCvsChevy

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by trukman1, Dec 9, 2002.

1. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

Recently a friend stopped by in his '68 GMC 4x4 and I noticed his frame was wider at the rear differential than my '69 Chevy. His frame bowed out like my '67 coil-spring 2wd, yet he had leaf springs and claims it is original. Did some 4x4 trucks have a coil type frame with different spring mounts? Anyone have any info on this? Thanks in advance! This just has me puzzled. Trukman1 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. Steve_Chin

Steve_Chin 1/2 ton status

I don't know any of this for fact, but according to the '72 FSM, the dimension from center to the inboard part of the vertical part of the "C" frame at the body mount just above the front spring eye is different comparing CA to KA, as well as along frame lenght/loading types. The center to ID dimension is either 16-7/8" or 19-1/8". There's a chart on page 2-3 of the '72 FSM.

3. LKJR

LKJR 1/2 ton status

I'd go with Dr. Chin on that one (glad to see you posting again btw, seems like it's been awhile) But I was thinking it was just a difference in crossmembers..But If the FSM says it's so I'd go with that...

4. trukman1

trukman1 1/2 ton status

First, I agree with Steve...I too have a '72 Factory Service manual as well as a '72 Factory Overhaul manual and the frame dimensions are shown as Steve detailed. The thing I'm trying to figure out is why my friends '68 GMC 4x4 has the wider CA style frame with leaf springs in the rear. It seems to me that if there are different spring mounts on some of the trucks this could be a great way for converting 2WD trucks to 4WD without a lot of hassle due to the wider rear frame section. It just got my curiosity up. Anyone else have anymore information regarding the GMC frames that might differ from the FSM? Little things like this get me wondering if there is something else out there I didn't know about. Thanks for the responses. It's just my nature to want to learn all I can about our generation of trucks. Everyone have a Happy Holiday! Trukman1

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

67-72 4x4, loghorn, and 1 ton are all straight rail frame no bow out over axle area, 34"

67-72 C10 and C20 2wd 115" and 127" are bowed out rear frames, 38.5" at widest point,

you can convert a coil to leaves if you have a donor leaf rear truck, optionally ordered G70 leaf type rear susp was installed on c10 20 coil frames

can convert a c10 c20 leaf rear to coil if have a coil rear donor truck

trukman, what is your friends VIn code look like, does it start with CK, C, or K ?

there are possibilities here such as it have been originally a 2wd and converted to 4x4, or body swapped, etc

6. proyouring71nova

proyouring71nova Registered Member

I have a c20 (4x4 1969) and was wondering if there would be any atvantage of converting the ass end to coils and trying to get some custom coils made so it would work with my lift? like would it flex better ect... thanks max