Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame differences in 2wd and 4wd for conversion to 4wd

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by COCHEV, Oct 17, 2004.

1. COCHEV

COCHEV 1/2 ton status

i can get a "project" 69 pickup for cheep to nothing but it is 2wd. are the front frame horns the same dimensions as the 4wd ones? i have some front spring hangers and could get the rear shackle hanger out of LMC. then just drill the holes in the frame where needed.

anyone got anything on this for the 67-72 years?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

I don't know for sure but back then GM did use alot of common parts, seams cost effective to use the same frames for both, but??? I duno /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

3. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

someone posted awhile back that frames were same you can swap crossmembers in and holes are already there. if that is the case they must be alot different than 2nd gen cause isn't the frame totally different 2wd to 4wd? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Frame should be similar -- I donno about first gens, they may be weird -- but the cabs are usually different, so the general consensus is that you'll need a body lift, a new center hump, or soem serious BFH to make the tranny/transfercase fit.

OTOH, if you're swapping cabs, this is a nonissue.

-- A