Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame id?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by berlinettaa, Nov 30, 2006.

1. berlinettaa

berlinettaa Newbie

Ive got a 62 step side body on what looks like an older blazer frame. I need to identify the frame so I can figure out what lift kit/springs will fit on it. I couldn't find the VIN on the frame, but then again, Im not exactly shure where to look. I did find the GM part numbers on the frame, and I was hoping someone could tell me the year and model from them. I kind of suspect it is a 72 frame, but I could be wrong. Here are the numbers:
    Drivers side: 14072633
    5 170 3 (S) 722

Passenger side: 14072634
    5 199 3 (S) 722

Thanks for any and all help,

-Berlinettaa-
    USMC Motor T

2. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Check the spring perch width on the rear axle. IIRC k-5s and truck 67-72 had 40.5" spacing. The newer ones 73 and newer had 43.5"???

3. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how about some pictures of it? and what is the wheelbase?

4. berlinettaa

berlinettaa Newbie

No luck with the pictures, I dont have a cam. I don't know if the idea with the spring pearch will work; the rear axle is a 10 bolt, and does not look like the original. The driver's side rear spring is sagging about two inches below the passenger side, that's why I need to figure out which frame it is. Another thing I need to know is how much lift the truck has over stock right now. Tonight Ill get some measurements, maybe that will tell us something. No one knows where I can run the p/n though? Thankyou guys for the help, Ill give any idea a try once (unless it involves tasting the exhaust for contamination, already did that one :wink1:)

5. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

10 bolt can be swapped in easily. But the spring mounts on the frame would still tell you how wide they are. As for lift, is there blocks in the rear?? How many leaves in front?? Just remembered this, but measure the lenght of the front spring. Pre 72 is 44" or so and newer 73-up is about 48".

6. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Trying to run the numbers for you, no luck thus far. Do see that that the C30's had additional frame reinforcements ('85-86) and that the 6.2 K trucks same years had an additional "crossmember" bolted in place in some apps. Anyways, back to searching...

According to the catalog, for '85-86 those frame rails are for a K10, 6.5' box, 117.5 wheelbase truck.

7. berlinettaa

berlinettaa Newbie

So an 85 or 86, eh? That is what I thought, but the short-box part surprised me, until I parked my Power Ram next to it... The wheel base is a hair (4 or 5 inches) longer than the dodge, so that makes sence. Does anyone have the "proper" measurements for the stock rear springs, length and drop, measured from the frame? The truck right now is using two inch blocks, but Id like to get rid of them entirely. It looks like a 5 or 6 inch lift, it has 35's right now and about 8 inches of clearance above them. Thank you guys much for all the info, Im glad I stopped by!

-Berlinettaa-
    USMC Motor T

8. dyeager535

Like I said, that's what my '85-88 parts manual shows. I wouldn't be surprised if they are probably the same at least back to '81.

9. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

they are identical. where did you come up with a parts manual?

10. berlinettaa

berlinettaa Newbie

Makes sence, as I doubt that the design in the frame rails changed often. As long as the suspention from any year that frame was used is interchangeable, I should be alright. I really appreciate the help, it saves me much time and frustration. With any luck, Ill have it running like a charm this weekend, even if the rear axle is still crooked :wink1:

-Berlinettaa-
    USMC Motor T

11. dyeager535

Picked it up on Ebay a few years back. Just got lucky I guess. Now of course though, I need one up to '91. :)