Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame is cracked not at box..pic inside

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by TJS, Sep 10, 2003.

1. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

I plow with this truck, see sig for set up. Looks like I will be boxing it in on both sides. It is cracked on pass. and drivers side almost in the same place. I already have a welded in p/s box plate. Got any pointers in boxing this in.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

New frame time dude no question you could fix it but I wouldn't that sucks

3. TJS

TJS 1/2 ton status

Yellow,
    Why do you say new frame. I have a 240 Mig, plasma cutter, Bpt Milling machine and a lathe etc. I think I can fix this cheaper and stronger than buying a new frame ???

4. steelsoldiers

steelsoldiers 1/2 ton status

Holy $#!^, excellent breakage man /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif. I tagged a huge rock with my front diff. one time which broke the tube out of the chunk, smashed the oil pan with the chunk, cracked the NP208 front case with the front driveshaft, broke the TH400/NP208 adapter and kinked the frame in front of the steering box /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif. The body shop pulled the frame straight and plug welded the crack for me. I have wheeled the wee out of it for the last 6 years with no futher problems. Interesting how it busted by that same hole in the frame rail on both sides. I'd say you'll have to have it pulled on a frame jig to straighten up the rails. Then, IMO, box and plate the frame at least 6-12" on either side of the crack to prevent further damage. You may want to redesign your plow mounts to redistribute the load on the frame.

5. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

if you can do it and have every thing line up like before go for it but I think you could find another frame for a coulple hundred bucks ??? thats alot of brekage to try to repair looks like its twisted a bit to I'd go with anew frame and reinforce it rather than repair and reinforce the one you have

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Doing a complete frame swap is a LOT of work. I'd just get that frame twisted back into position, fishplate the hell out of the crack, and then add a bunch of reinforcement to that area of the frame. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe 4 hours of work and you'll have a good plow rig again. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

Im no physics expert, but it looks like something was putting excesssive leverage on part of the frame. Get your frame fixed, then re-evaulate how your plow bolts onto the frame. You may want to figure out some way to distribute the weight along a longer section of frame.

8. ben427

ben427 1/2 ton status

fix it up, then if theres room, put a 4 foot long piece of 1x2x.125 box from the push plate to back further on your frame somewhere on either side, i did this on my plow truck and havent had a problem.

9. wild-will

wild-will 1/2 ton status

Dude just go to the store and buy like 5 rolls of duct tape and just go to town on it. the install will probably take an hour 5 rolls is alot