Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame mount question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by antta99, Jun 1, 2004.

1. antta99

antta99 Registered Member

The frame mount in the no 3 position on the driver side of my Blazer is rotted. I think I have a way of patching it but,I was wondering if any company made a replacement? I called my local Chevy dealer and he said it was part of the frame. LMC doesnt sell it and I checked with Auto Body Specialties and they cant help either. Any suggestions? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

2. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I think you'd be better off patching it yourself with some steel and a few well placed welds.

3. antta99

antta99 Registered Member

Thats what Im gonna do I was just wondering if there was anything out there.

4. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

I had the same problem and hadn't come across anything that would be any help.
    I think the "make it yourself" way is pretty easy for this part (as long as you have access to a welder)

Be sure to get all the cancer (rust) out of the area before you paint it up real good.

5. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Ok, this is why I don't trust mechanics either. (don't need to start a rant, but this once again proves my point) There are WAY too many idiots working in the automotive industry. I've got the PAPER parts manual from '85-88, and it's group 9.000, page 9-4.

The part numbers for the actual steel pieces riveted to the frame are as follows. Numbers start under the cab front, NOT including the core support mounts:

Mount 1: 14040692
    Mount 2: 14029286
    Mount 3: 6274179 (LH) and 326418 (RH)
    Mount 4 there really isn't any replacement "mount" just the piece the bumper bolts to, upper and lower "cushion", a spacer, a bolt, and a nut.

I kind of doubt all those part numbers are still good, however, given the incompetance of your local dealer, I would STRONGLY suggest you take your business elsewhere, such as www.gmpartsdirect.com

They kill you with S&H, but if your dealer charges you prices inversely proportional to their intelligence (like mine) you will either come out even, or a bit ahead.

6. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    The frame mount in the no 3 position on the driver side of my Blazer is rotted. I think I have a way of patching it but,I was wondering if any company made a replacement? I called my local Chevy dealer and he said it was part of the frame. LMC doesnt sell it and I checked with Auto Body Specialties and they cant help either. Any suggestions? Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I got a free truck for parts and now I have extra pieces if I need them on my repairs.
    If you have someone in your area that has an extra frame laying around you can pop the rivets and use a good mount to replace yours.

7. namkrow

namkrow 1/2 ton status

Oh man!
    I'm way off. I thought he was talking about the frame mount that is part of the body. (body mount). I mistook his terminology.

Anyway, yeah...as posted above, you can get those parts.

The sheet metal around the body mount is what I've seen fail locally (not enough weather or salt here to rot a frame through).

-T