Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame off resto underway - Dial-up beware

Discussion in 'The Driveway (build threads)' started by AussieK5, Sep 19, 2006.

1. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I thought I'd post up some pics as I resto my K5 over the next couple of months. I'm taking two months off work starting on the 25th to immerse myself in this build.

The end use of the K5 will be DD and safari/expedition rig. I'm still to lock in some final build specs for the rig but in the end it will;
    - maintain the classic K5 look
    - be sensibly compromised between on and off-road performance
    - have comfort levels closer to present day than 1979
    - be able to operate without re-sup for 2-14 days depending on the distances/environment

This K5 was a gem of a find around here as its unmodified and rust free.

Associated thread/s
    http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184330http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184330

[​IMG]
    As bought

[​IMG]
    Interior

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'll post up some final build details and plans this weekend.

Jason

Last edited: Nov 4, 2006
  2. bear76

bear76 1/2 ton status

3. hunterguy86

hunterguy86 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have an awesome project going there.

I was wondering, anyone know how many K5's were produced in a righthand drive and exported across the pond? Or was this a dealer installed feature?

4. AZPiNsTrIpEd

AZPiNsTrIpEd 1/2 ton status

Sounds like it's gonna be a pretty capable rig when your all finished!:waytogo:

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Yeah, I did a doubletake :eek1: when I saw it was RHD!

I see the gauges are in the same configuration, i.e. not mirrored, but the dashpad is mirrored, so GM at least had to supply parts.

AussieK5, what's in the center of the dash above the 4x4 shifter, is that a radio or something?

-- A

6. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

what about the heater???? when they converted it did they not re-install the heater???? or does it even get cold enough there to worry about it ???? also does it have a NP208????? it kinda looks like it might be a 205.......More pics please

7. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

Just think of the backwards looking steering box that is now mounted to the other side of the rig.

8. dremu

Actually, looking at

http://i90.photobucket.com/albums/k260/llebnosaj/frameoff.jpg

it looks to me like it's the same box, but they put it outside the frame on an inside-out bracket thing ... eww. THAT'S gonna cause problems... and you can't exactly use the ORD brace, you know? :doah:

-- A

9. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

WOW, i just looked at that pic and the front end of the frame looks all whacky like that being offset. Another one of GM's super bright ideas

10. suspectdon

suspectdon 1/2 ton status

I think everyone is missing the point here.!!! :) He is taking 2 sweet months off from work just to wrench on his beloved K5!!!! Is everything better down-under???

Now if he still got a pay check that would be to much!!

It looks great! good luck. Don't let the first month swing by before you start.

Richard

11. danny7139

danny7139 1/2 ton status

couldnt imagine trying to find a nos dash pad for that thing

12. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

GMH (Aussie arm of GM) assembled a few thousand C20's and some K20's. They are all Aussie complianced and have factory fibreglass dashes installed. As far as I know not one K5 was complianced by GM and all K5's in the country are imports. The dash out of my K5 was originally from one of these C/K 20's. The dash pad is not a usual feature of the C/K GMH built and is a add on. This is the dash in my 79 K20. Sorry the image is a bit dark and my Photoshop prog recently crashed.
    [​IMG]

That 'thing' is one shagadelic blue'ish shagpile stereo/CB mount. The wife wants me to leave it in because its so corny its almost cool. I'll be giving it the heavo ho!!

[​IMG]

The heater box etc was in place on the left side when I bought it, but is was damaged so I panelled the holes in the interim. I definately will be installing a aircon/heater as the temp range can dip to 16F and hit 120F. Not as low as you guys but still damn nippy.

The rig came with a 350/203 set-up, its getting ditched in favour of a OD auto and possibly a 205. Timing for this all depends on availability of parts both here and in the U.S.

Actually all the problems with craked frames disappear with this outboard box. Its constructed on 3/8 plate and mitigates points loads on the chassis. Its an simple well engineered solution. My K20 has a frame mounted p/steer box and it flexes like a b%tch. Both K5's Ive owned had this mod and both frames are pristine still. I should mention that although this 79' has done little work my previous 73' had metal fatigue issues all over, body and frame, but the p/steer mount was not one of them. I would not fit a frame mounted RHD box. The turning circle is great. A bonus is the LHD boxes are almost free down here as they are about as useful as a c%ck flavoured lollipop in a RHD country!

LOL If GM had done something like this to LHD C/K's this ORD wouldnt sell a single brace!:wink1:

[​IMG]

Yes...its 2 months on full paid leave. I cant wait, I've got 4 more work days to go then I've got nothing else to do but build my rig. Its the start of summer and a beautiful time to be outside wrenching with good tunes playing. :thumb:

Thanks for the input and comments guys...I'll stay disciplined and keep the pics and updates coming.

cheers

Jason

13. K5-newf

K5-newf 1/2 ton status

nice truck good luck with i was lookin at the first pics and before reading any of the posts i was thinkin somethign looks strange on the truck but i dont know wat and i reads the post and i had to go back and look at it got me good lol

14. dremu

Wow ... I take back my fears about the steering box -- that pic of just the plate ... wow. 3/8 plate :eek:

And yeah, it IS summer for you upside down folks, innit? :doah: So many things I forget...

-- A

15. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

so which side was the steering arm on? if it was on the left then i would have x-over....if its on the right.....that would be interesting to see :)

16. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

[​IMG]

Ask and you shall receive.:D

This is a older pic as I tore down the vehicle 6 weeks ago and boxed everything under the house. You should be able to see the knuckle/arm (the arm is a custom) and tie rod, this connects to the pitman arm in the usual manner.

17. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats funny, it looks like a normal steering arm turned upside down.....oh boy those crazy aussie's:haha:

18. Jefferson-Mo

Jefferson-Mo 1/2 ton status

G'Day Jason I just Google Mapped your GPS points...............

and It put you right in the middle of the National Rose Garden about 100' from the Parliment!

ha ha ha ha :haha: :haha:

19. Jefferson-Mo

Jefferson-Mo 1/2 ton status

Oh yeah great project.......I wish I could come down and help......... :laugh:

20. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

Its been a hectic couple of weeks. I've had to knock over a long list of jobs to clear space/time before I started the resto in earnest. Anyway everything is set now and the K5 made it into the garage yesterday.

I knocked up a dolly that will do double duty on my next project (muscle car) as a dolly and then evolve into a build jig. The dolly was built to suit the muscle car perfectly and 'fit' the K5 enough to make the tub resto easier. Being able to move the dolly up and down is a must as the garage roof bars are only 6'4". Its going to be musical truck parts until the tub goes back on the chassis, then its outside only.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've decided to go with coil suspension. I grabbed a set of OME Nissan GU coils from ARB the other day which will fit the bill just fine.
    [​IMG]

The front control arms.
    [​IMG]

Ive got some work to do initially to fix up some sh$t done in either the conversion or buy a PO.
    [​IMG]

Damn pop rivetted crap.
    [​IMG]

Somone had cunningly hacked the tub to fit some 6x9's not understanding just how much dust that hole would draw into the truck.
    [​IMG]

The chassis and tub are going to the the blasters on monday.

I've got to give my K20 a freshen up so it can get sold to help take the build past a standard resto. I cant wait to order some of the bigger items.

So far so good, I'm only a few days behind the schedule I projected for this build.

Jason

Last edited: Oct 13, 2006