Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame off restoration - how long?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by wazzabie, Aug 28, 2005.

1. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I read alot about frame off restorations. How much time do you think goes into this in work hours?

2. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

depends on how rough the project is, like rust wise or whats missing. then factor in what goal you have then pick a price, the main thing is to plan your work then work your plan.

a co worker rebuilt a 68 camaro in 4 months but it took 20K to do it.

3. blazinzuk

blazinzuk Buzzbox voodoo Premium Member GMOTM Winner

How much money ya got I have done a couple and it is very hard to figure out how much it will cost. I did one on an old dart that wasn't really a resto but we painted and replaced alot of stuff took 3 guys 2 weeks and we worked every single night for about 7 or 8 hours

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

You see frame off restos on Overhaulin' all the time. They say that they have a crew of 40 and they have the car for 7 days. Being conservative, say they have 20 people working on the car for the first 12 hours of the day and the second 20 people working the other 12 hours. That would come out to 3360 man hours. That would equal you working on it for about 8 hours a day 5 days a week for 84 weeks.
    But as already stated, it depends what shape your truck is in and how deep into a restoration you want to go, how much you can do yourself, and how much you're going to farm out to someone else.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

if you half to ask it might not be for you. or fit in to your time needs .

6. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i used to work in a resto-shop... generally most stuff ran 400 to 1000 hrs.. sometimes more.. obviously theres alot of variables to it... my chevelle has over 1000 in it...

its all money tho... if you have all the equipment, parts and a system, it can be relatively quick... i'd love to do it for a living again, just not alot of call for it here on the least coast...

7. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I've got well over 1000 in my '73, and it's not done yet! another 400-600 to go!

Overhaulin', that show is a joke. They take some already great cars, and hack them to pieces. Then they cut corners everywhere, you can't possibly build a car right in 7 days even with 40 guys. Bling wheels and a dvd in the trunk, yeah, that's great. No thanks.
    I told my wife, DO NOT EVER, EVER, unless you want to get divorced, take my pristine 1970 Impala with 59,000 orig mi for one of those show projects. EVER.

One of my biggest problems with my '73 is logitics on parts. I don't get much free time to work on it, and it always seems I have to stop because of lack of parts. If I could every single little fastner, grommet, clip, hose, joint, part, sitting ready to go, it would makes things alot faster, You just never can plan enough though.

8. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

I'm doing a little restorative work on a crew cab right now. Not exactly a frame off since the cab will never be removed from the frame. Most importantly you need to decide if you want it to be a show truck or just something you will be happy to drive. In my case I want a nice clean daily driver which means I don't need near the detail a show truck would require. I don't have to remove every single bolt and replace it. Just clean up good and undercoat and I'll be happy. I'm fixing 99% of the rust but some is being sealed and hidden. Why not fix it? Just would require more time than I have to dedicate to the project. (I'm driving my wife's minivan and she's getting angry :haha: )

This also means that I don't have to spend 20K on the project.

I just would like to have a nice daily driver than can haul some stuff for me. In the end it will still be used to work!

So like I said, what does it need to do when its all done? Then work from that assumption.

Good luck and have fun with the build.

9. HillJackCustoms

HillJackCustoms Registered Member

What all consists in a frame off restortation??? Just curious....

10. 4by4bygod

4by4bygod 1/2 ton status

front clip off and taken apart, glass out, interior gutted, wiring replaced, body off frame, frame sandblasted / painted , new springs, shocks, front suspension / steering replaced, remove/ rebuild engine - trans - tcase, rear diff, all new fuel & brake lines, gas tank, all body rust removed, new body mounts installed , body back on frame, body sanded / painted, then reassemble everything in reverse order using new and / or upgraded parts when possible.

Just figure on spending twice the amount of time and money as you think you'll need. that'll get you in the ballpark. And buy some good jackstands. your truck will live on top of them for a long time.

Tom

11. MTMike

MTMike 1/2 ton status

It will take twice as long and cost 3 times as much as you expect/plan :doah:

12. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

Right on. I'd mabey even adjust those numbers to 4 times as long, 4 times the cost.

13. wazzabie

wazzabie 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I just want to fix the rust problem so that it is structural.