Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame off restore???

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by ZfromNJ, Jun 17, 2003.

1. ZfromNJ

ZfromNJ Registered Member

I am looking to get a frame off restoration done to my rig. I just want to tighten everything up and make everything smooth again. How much should I look to spend and does anyone know of anyone in the NJ area that I cna get it done at?

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Do it yourself.

There's nothing like the feeling of accomplishment of doing such a task by yourself. I'm planning to do my '88 V30 once all the parts are here and I find a larger shop to do it in. I have done a few in the past before and working on these years of trucks are fairly easy and enjoyable. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. ZfromNJ

I really have no idea. What I am doing mechanics wise. I would lost.

4. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

it might take longer but, when you run into problems, just post them on Here, and someone somewhere will know the answer ;P... plus youll save mucho dinero doing it yourself.

5. wraenking

wraenking 1/2 ton status

thats a great idea Z. once you do yours, you can swing by and do mine if you dont mind!!

lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yep do it yourself. Order some catalogs from these dudes:
    LMC and check out the other sites on the links page, even if you have to pay for the catalog you can get your money back on the first order. But try to find the parts you need in a junkyard first before ordering them from Restoration companies as it will be much cheaper not to mention a helluva lot more fun! And don't be intimidated by this project as the best way to learn anything to to jump right in! Just holler if ya got any ?'s...

7. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

EXPECT TO PAY ALOT!!!!!

On average I'd say between 4000.00 to 10000.00 dollars, depends on who is doing it and how far you want to go with it. Also depends on what you have to start with.
    And what needs to be replaced. The prices above should get your truck looking good.

But like everyone else has said, do it yourself, you'll save money and be doing it the way you want it done.

If I was charging myself to do mine I'd have to charge approx 20000.00 for bieng an idiot and getting so far into it that I have no life left. I can't even remember what it's like to drive mine. It's been 1 year and 2 months of farting around on sundays and still no light at the end of the tunnell. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

8. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    thats a great idea Z. once you do yours, you can swing by and do mine if you dont mind!!

lol /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Me to. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Clueless with body work, but going to try. It's got to look better than rust !

9. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

I came pretty close to that, off frame restore.
    For a period of about a day the body was off the frame during the new rear floor pan and body lift. Ran into some body lift problems but with the two peice fan shroud I just used a U channel as a spacer.
    You can get the highlights at the link in sig, click on the rebuild page 1 and follow the link at the bottom of the following pages /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. ZfromNJ

I really just want everything to be nice and tight again. SOmehting like a newer truck. I love the truck but I get so much junk from everyone telling me that I should stop wasting my money in the truck. SO I am somewhat torn because I dont know if I should sell it because I have someone who wants to buy it for $5500 but I dont know what to do.

11. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

who the frick cares what someone else thinks? you will get opinions form all kinds of people. i know people that think my truck is the sh!t..and i also get people that see the rust on it and say its a pos..its all about what you really know about it i guess. i hate people like that..they see some rust and think the truck is a pos. when most likly its a better running and dependable vehicle than what there driving! some people just automaticly think my turck doesnt run good and that it sucks cuase its an 86 to..lol they dont understand that you can keep a vehicle running good as new as long as you know what ur doing. but most of these people im talking about dont know a muffler from a windsheild wiper.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

12. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

who the frick cares what someone else thinks? you will get opinions form all kinds of people. i know people that think my truck is the sh!t..and i also get people that see the rust on it and say its a pos..its all about what you really know about it i guess. i hate people like that..they see some rust and think the truck is a pos. when most likly its a better running and dependable vehicle than what there driving! some people just automaticly think my turck doesnt run good and that it sucks cuase its an 86 to..lol they dont understand that you can keep a vehicle running good as new as long as you know what ur doing. but most of these people im talking about dont know a muffler from a windsheild wiper.. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. jjlaughner

jjlaughner 3/4 ton status

If the have the cash flow to do it, buy a beater, garage the blazer and starting tearing into it yourself.

[ QUOTE ]
    I get so much junk from everyone telling me that I should stop wasting my money in the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here... Pi$$ on them /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

I have two blazers and found a third I might pickup
    A daily driver, a plow truck and a new project blazer

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I really just want everything to be nice and tight again. SOmehting like a newer truck. I love the truck but I get so much junk from everyone telling me that I should stop wasting my money in the truck. SO I am somewhat torn because I dont know if I should sell it because I have someone who wants to buy it for $5500 but I dont know what to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh whenever you get down about people telling you what a piece of junk your blazer is just go here and check out what I'm working with, you'll feel better about your ride instantly

15. MarcS

MarcS 1/2 ton status

People tell you it's a POS, what are they driving ? Remember this: Tune up=$60-75. Easy $200 on new trucks.Insurance is cheaper than new truck. You can replace EVERY body part on it for under $2000 (Thats about the cost of their new plastic crap bumper). It will take on anything you can dish out, while they are afraid to get dirty and God forbid break a thousand dollar part. If they have a Dodge, wait til about 35,000 miles and ask how much the new trans cost them. And if the drive rice, just pull up on their hoods and treat your truck to a nice clean oil change. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Also, add up what you put into it and divide it by THEIR monthly payment. It's nice when it's paid for.

Sorry about the long rant, but I like functional trucks,
    not pretty ones. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

16. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Yeah, the "no monthly payment" comeback usually shuts people up! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

17. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    heh whenever you get down about people telling you what a piece of junk your blazer is just go here and check out what I'm working with, you'll feel better about your ride instantly

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, im diggin the green wheels though!

18. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I am looking to get a frame off restoration done to my rig. I just want to tighten everything up and make everything smooth again. How much should I look to spend and does anyone know of anyone in the NJ area that I cna get it done at?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Z,
    I don't know how bad you are when you say you don't know.
    I am pretty comfortable doing everything on my truck, but not an expert by any means.
    I did a frame off resto on a 73 a few years back.
    It took me and my brother about 9 months ( /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif)
    The only thing we didn't do was the paint because we wanted a perfect paint job, we did however work on the body.
    We sandblasted frame and body got everything perfectly clean.
    We didn't reuse anything rubber.
    We got it done with about $3500 including $2000 for paint.
    I would do it again anytime, but not to a truck I want to take off road, I like to feel comfortable squeezing in between rocks.
    /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

19. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

haha, im diggin the green wheels though!

[/ QUOTE ]

Ya like that? It's called Lime Twist and is originally a VW color. The tires that were on the rims were shot (wouldn't hold air for 30 seconds) so I took em off to put the crappy tires that WOULD hold air on. While I had the rims bare I went ahead and sandblasted them and painted em. I am eliminating as much chrome as possible and my rig will be gloss black with that lime twist green trim. My bumpers (both will be custom made), armor, and sliders will be green as well. I am gonna try my hand at painting ghost flames on the hood and fenders as that's what I wan't to do to the '68 Belvedere II I am restoring and I figure I can practice on the K5 since it obviously isn't being built for looks /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

20. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

Hey you know what...the fact is who cares if you put 10k into a truck...I would rather have a bad ass k5 then spend 40k on a lexus..now that's stupid...

If you do the resto your self Just make sure you got the room and a ton of tools...and there may be some spendy one's if you plan on doing your own engine or axle rebuilds..but buy the good stuff...With all my tools and money ive put into my 71 I still haven't spent as much as a lexus or bmw etc etc etc...all I know is I have a awsome truck I put together myself and can explane every part in great detail.... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif