Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame painting?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by chevy_tuff, Apr 8, 2004.

1. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

hey, i just sanded down the frame on my 1980 chev and was wondering what would be the best paint or undercoating to use to protect it. thanks for the help

2. unick

unick 1/2 ton status

por - 15 works good

3. kylo28

kylo28 Registered Member

I just use cans of Rustoleum spray paint.

4. husurddy

husurddy 1/2 ton status

Snow Hill, Maryland, go east \'till you hit water
    POR-15 is a pain in the butt, it's $$$$$ and the directions have to be followed to the "T". That said, once on, it stays on and wont come off, (unless you use a stripper of some sort.) It STOPS and prevents rust and I love it. I even painted an inner fender with POR-15 and two years later and a zillion chuncks of stone and mud later, it still looks great. I don't mind taking the extra time to prep and paint with it because I know I wont have to do it again anytime soon. I live in the rust belt and anything I can do to prevent or stop the cancer is like money in the bank to me. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. big jimmy 91

big jimmy 91 1/2 ton status

I used a two part epoxy paint from "international paints" on a skidoo trailer that see's nothing but salt (about 92 or so)
    (brand new , sand blasted , then paint)
    It worked awsome
    We used to have to wire wheel ,re-paint it every year , now we just look at it every summer , amazed it does'nt even get rock chips any more
    I even thought o doing a trail rig with that stuff very tough /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

6. greywolf

greywolf 1/2 ton status

por15 /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif my calipers,draglink,housings and motor will be done with por15.prep is a pain the arse but worth it.

7. gm4x

gm4x 1/2 ton status

if it'a a bare frame have it powdercoated. not really that expensive. last one i had done was $250 i think, plus it's pretty durable.

8. Desert Rat

Desert Rat Fetch the comfy chair

9. chevy_tuff

chevy_tuff Registered Member

where do u buy por15?, thanks for all the help by the way.

10. Desert Rat

11. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

How much paint was required for each coat? Don't want to buy more of the POR-15 than I'll use on the frame.

12. Desert Rat

I used a quart of POR-15 and a quart of Chassis Black. But I think I used some for my axles too. For both quarts you are into it for less than $100 for the paint but if you buy their prep products, it would run just over $100. Considering how hard the paint came out on my frame, it was well worth the time and effort to save myself the bucks that I would've spent on powdercoating. In fact, I overpainted the area that I was going to weld in my frame brace. I tried sanding, wire brushing, paint remover, but nothing made a dent in the paint. I finally had to take a grinder to the paint to get back to bare metal for the welding. I've wacked on the paint with a hammer and it doesn't phase it. However, I did follow the instructions to the letter, including prepping it by stripping all oils off of it with their Marine Clean, and then spraying it with their Metal Ready. I'm using it on my axles, front Crane High Clearance D60 diff cover, and I may use it on my bumpers as well.