Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame prepping for undercoating, paint,....???

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Zepplin, May 7, 2002.

1. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Well, I have my body off my frame so I have great access to start cleaning it up. I figured I would use a wire wheel of some kind to knock off the surface rust. I looked over briefly where the steering box was mounted (its off now) and didn't see any cracks.

Anyway, this isn't going to be a show truck but, I would like to apply something on it. I really don't want anything too nasty like undercoating on it or anything. I read where Por15 can be put on alot of surfaces but, does it have the same consistency as undercoating? Or is it a smoother texture.
    I would like something that would clean up easily after a weekend of wheeling in the mud.

I just figured I would get everyones opinions on what they would do to clean up their frame.

So what would you do?

2. AJMBLAZER

AJMBLAZER Better to be lucky than good. Premium Member

POR 15 can be as fine or lumpy as you want it to be, but it isn't anywhere near undercoating or bedliner. I've seen it as smooth as any paint a body shop could do, or all rough and textured where someone put it over some scaley rust with a brush. First was on a hot rod, second was on a 4x4.

I'm thinking POR 15 THEN bedliner stuff./forums/images/icons/smile.gif

3. skyblazer

skyblazer 1/2 ton status

I cleaned the bottom off with various sized of wire wheels. I coated the bottom with POR15 to seal and prevent rust. I then applied rubberized undercoating. Ideally, I would have sprayed bedliner, but the undercoating is fairly tough and can be touched up easily.

4. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

Thanks guys. I went to the POR-15 site and they have alot of different products out there. Would a gallon be overkill if I wanted to do my entire frame and some other stuff? It said it was $88 for a gallon. I'm sure I could find some other places to put it on.

5. AJMBLAZER

I hear of guys doing LOTS of stuff with only a pint, but hell, with a gallon you could do the frame, and at least a lot of the body. This is Michigan after all./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif When I get my K5 I'm gonna do something, probably POR 15 and Herculiner, to as much of the metal as I can.

No rusty!

6. Zepplin

Zepplin 1/2 ton status

I was thinking the more the better. I was thinking of doing the Por-15 on the frame and the floor. Then maybe Herculiner over that on the floor or maybe some of that waterproof vinyl carpet stuff.

7. AJMBLAZER

I'm thinking similar to you. POR 15 on what I can get of the frame and under body, the entire thing when I eventually do a body off resto. Heck, maybe even Herculiner over the POR 15.

Body will probably get POR 15 on every spot of rust I find and maybe Herculiner on the lower portions of the body. Floor will get at least a coat of POR 15 and Herculiner. Not so hot on those vinyl floor mats. Just one more thing to spend money on and fight with./forums/images/icons/tongue.gif