Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame problem with shackle flip

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by 4wheelingyz, Nov 20, 2003.

1. 4wheelingyz

4wheelingyz Newbie

I got a used 4" shackle flip. Tried to put it on and the bolt holes in the frame and the ones on the new shackles do not line up. I also tried a buddy's shackle flip and got the same results. Any input would be appriciated. Thanks. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

chevy frames flex, its what they do. I got my ORD shackle flip new, and the holes on the bottom of the frame didnt line up exactly right... its no biggie, I just had to bolt the bracket on with the holes that did line up and do a little work with a drill and dremel too.

j

3. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

yes you are correct, but to elaborate a bit more on his problem...

it seems that the shackle flip is pretty much a 90 degree angle (the mounting surface i mean). but his frame seems to have a slight curvature, or bulge, to it. basically, its not mounting up flush with the frame. the flip came off of a 90 model k5, and he is putting it on a 77 or 78 /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif swb. there should not be any differences in mounting, correct?

so, might his frame be fubar'd? /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. jackedjimmy350

jackedjimmy350 1/2 ton status

and fill out your profile, a-ron /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. shaggyk5

shaggyk5 1/2 ton status

BFH time......

6. beater74

beater74 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    there should not be any differences in mounting, correct?

[/ QUOTE ]

nope there should not be any probs. i put a 4" on my 74 no probs. if'n his frame is bowed out there is something more serious going on there /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

7. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]

it seems that the shackle flip is pretty much a 90 degree angle (the mounting surface i mean). but his frame seems to have a slight curvature, or bulge, to it.
    thanks for the input. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

the bracket is stronger and thicker than the frame. bolt it up and flaten out the frame. make sure the frame rails are paralell to each other as well. may have been in a rear ender in the past.

if someting is bent and it is working fine now then it may not track well after the flip geometry will be working a bit different with the flip on.

grant