Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Q's

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Seventy4Blazer, Jun 10, 2001.

1. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

Frame Q\'s

Anybody know how much if any the frame on a 74 blazer differs from a 78? both half ton rigs....

i am wondering if i can just ask Bleu Beast for the measurements he used and double check them on my blazer.

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

2. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: Frame Q\'s

Should be identical in comparisons. Bet if you stood by them side by side, you couldnt tell which was which.

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

3. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)

In 78 they switched the body mounts to account for the folding rear seat. So, yes they are different.

Sparky

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Well HOT DAMN!!! That shows I know absolutely NOTHING about Blazers!!! [​IMG]

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

5. Seventy4Blazer

Seventy4Blazer 3/4 ton status

could they have changed just the pan and the bolt hols in the frame? it makes sense to me... guess i will have to find a 78.
    and could someone with a 78 measure from the rear of the frame rail to the point where it starts to end down...
    thanks....

1974 Chevy Blazer Cheyanne. lots of plans for it....
    but it is on 33's now, with saggy old springs. i am in so cali if ya got any parts for me.

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

73-77 should be the same. 78-80 are the same. 81-91 are the same. the change in 81 was to the bumper horns on the end of the frame but otherwise same shape and mount location of the 78-80. The difference is in 78 they got the rear seat passenger footwell added. The frame was changed in that area to accomidat this and the center mounts were moved to the outside of the frame like the front mounts. It would be possible to put a 78 up frame under a 73-77 body. Just have to fabricate the center mount support.
    Can't go the other way very easy because I'm pretty sure the frame starts it's upturn sooner on the 73-77 trucks than it does in later years. Would have to do some floor mods to clear the frame. My Calibrated right eye says it starts the turn up about 4-6 inches later on the newer frames. The front rear spring mount looks a little different as a result I'm sure.
    I'll take a peak under my wifes 79 and my 75 when I get home and double check. I will measure from the center of the font cab mount back. It will be a common mount between both frames and much easier to measure from that point.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

7. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

on the 73-77 frames, The body mount's under the rear seat are inside the frame rail. These were moved outside the frame rail to make room for the footwell. If you remove that crossmember, the body will bolt onto the rest of the body mounts. BUT you will be shy 2 body mounts and a crossmember.

your right. I don't understand the jeep thing!