Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Queston

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tomford, Mar 2, 2007.

1. tomford

tomford 1/2 ton status Premium Member

hey guys

i have an 81 gmc shortbed stepside and i was wondering if i could swap frames to a 1979 4x4 shortbed frame

ideally id like so swap everything, alxes engne body and i want to know if everything will work, no majior changes in frames when they switched body styles right?

thanks
    tom ford

2. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I know the frame is different where the front bumper bolts up. why would you want to swap? is your current frame rotted?

3. NEK5

NEK5 3/4 ton status Premium Member

It`s cracked, if I remember correctly.;)

4. tomford

cracked at the steering box and somthing funky peice missing and welded in the back where the spring pearch is.

so only the bumper mounts are different. im planning on getting a bumper from DIY4x

5. gmc4cw

gmc4cw 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

the frame is the core of your truck. it is easier to repair it then replace it. unless its badly bent. cracks can be welded. basically you will end up building a truck from scratch but you need to completely dismantle another one to do it.

6. tomford

oh i realize that, but im in the process of putting in a new motor, and im getting a painless wireing harness, because the one in the truck has so many splices and dead ends it's just easier replacing than fixing the old. also im gonna take out the body lift so while im at it i can take a little longer and swap the whole thing over... then ill have my dream off road truck when im done...

ha theres no such thing as done though...

tom ford

7. big dan

big dan 1/2 ton status Premium Member

yeah it will be a real pita to swap everything over but like said the bumper mounts should be the only thing different. might have different powersteering line connections. I cant remember what year they changed but my 78 uses the flared fittings and Im pretty sure the 81s have the o-ring fittings. so you may have to swap steering boxes to make them fit. and depending on the original transmission and transfercase you might have to drill new holes for the tranny crossmember.