Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame rail question

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 71 Blazer, Feb 26, 2006.

1. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I am missing the last rail (by last I mean under the tailgate) that connects the frame to the body, the ones that go across from one side of the vehicle to another. Currently a board is in its place. Also my 2nd to last on is bent. Are they the same as the short bed pick-ups? I have looked in resto mags and can't find ones spacific to k5's. Also is their supposed to be a piece that goes above the tailgate on a k5. My hardtop hatch, when closed, is about a inch from the tailgate. Also looked in some Mags couldn't find anything. Does my hatch need an adjustmant? Part #'s would be helpful, pictures would be good to, especially if their is a piece I can make.

2. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Crossmembers

Goodmark makes quality repro parts, stay with OEM suppliers,you won't have a hard time hanging the parts.
    They have all the crossmembers you need.
    GMC Pauls is one supplier and there are plenty more

As far as the space under the rear hatch, I have not a clue although we could talk about your problem. Later J

Parts are for specific models, If you get a catalog from Goodmark it is clearly marked as what it fits

Last edited: Mar 19, 2006
  3. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

from my best memory, the rearmost crossmember is the one with the hole where the taillight harness plug mounts. its a stamped z shaped plate where the top flange is bolted toward the front and the bottom flange bolts (riveted) toward the rear of the truck. the frames look like they were hacked from the factory (rough torch cut). the rearmost channel under the bed above the frame contains the welded nuts that the back seat brackets and belts bolt to. later this afternoon i'm gonna be working on my frame i will post some pics tonight. i might be forgetting something back there

4. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

I was talking about the one that the very last body mounts sit on. (I have a board under their now). I have the one that the tail light plug goes through. Pics would be great. I am hoping that the k5 one is the same as the long bed pick up or step side so I can get it fron a junk yard, but until I find out I will keep looking.

5. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

i think you are talking about the sheet metal at the bottom rear of the of the bed. this doesnt connect to the frame. the last body mount spots are 2 little pads rivited to the frame next to your gas tank. i forgot to take pics, i will get some pictures tomorrow in the daylight. im not sure but i think the back of the body is the same on all fleetside models. there is a strip that went at the top of the tailgate that was intended to prevent opening the tailgate when the hatch was locked. chevy duty sold me a flimsy repro that i cant seem to fit on there for $50. ill post the pics after work

6. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

I think this may be the piece you're looking for. I don't know if there is one made for the 67 - 72 blazer but one for the fleetside will work with some work. I replaced all of my bed cross sills.

http://americanclassic.com/asp/dyncatv2.asp?which=amclsall&p1=initial&p2=Bed+Cross+Sills&iyear=1972&ytype=to&exyear=

DCP_3267.jpg

DCP_3266.jpg

7. 13lazer

13lazer 1/2 ton status

here are some pics from my 2 wheeler, and my frame off 4x4. the pictures would have been better if i had lifted the truck. i dont know what the pickups look like. i hope these help.

DSC00009.JPG

DSC00011.JPG

DSC00013.JPG

DSC00102.JPG

DSC00105.JPG

8. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Hyjack

Hey you stupid Hillbilly, where have you been?:haha:

I just finished fitting the drivers side floorboard, man they need alot of work to get them right, your pics made it look really easy, any way I have my new door hung. The cowl really moves alot when you cut out the floor board. All I have to do now is work on my kick panel,rocker panel, and lower "A" post repair.

I found that cross member at GMCPaul's, I can't believe how cheap the prices are on all this sheet metal, the front body mount was only like $10.00.

Thanks for all the advice and help you gave me, I felt better seeing pics of what I was going to run into. Later J

9. RustyParts

RustyParts 1/2 ton status

Been waitin' for the weather to warm up so I can get outside without makin' these ole bones brittle and besides I couldn't do anything anyway I cut off the end of my left index finger, but it's all healed up and haired over now.:o

10. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Dude!!!

Man, I feel sorry for you, never really had a serious accident like that , knock on wood, but it had to hurt.
    anyway just wondering what you had done on your truck.

Wonder if that guy that started this thread found his crossmembers, got some of mine from Classic Ind.
    Alot of the stuff crosses over to the Fleetside. Later J.

I forgot to ask you if you got running water in the house or are you still taking your bucket down to the river

11. 71 Blazer

71 Blazer 1/2 ton status

No I haven't gotten them yet. I am still trying to find out for sure if the fleetside will fit a blazer. A couple of people said that they think so. I want to get this piece out of a junk yard, but their are no blazers in the yards in my area, only pick-ups. I'm not in a big rush. I will hit up some junk yards when it gets warmer.

12. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

the quickest fix might be a grafting of a pickup bed, as for me, i just made a whole new support and floor for the bed out of diamond plate. cost $330. looking back on it i wish i started out with a better truck, my jimmmy was so rusty, everythign on the floor was basically gone.

13. jaros44

jaros44 1/2 ton status

Rear Brace/Cross Member

If you find one in the junkyard you will have to take your torch with you as the crossmember is welded to the bedfloor and the crossmember. It has about 4 bolts located under the tail lites and 2 body mounts in it. All the work involved to get it off a used truck may be cheaper to buy a new one with no rust and galvanized from Classic Ind.
    Just my .02!!! Later J.

14. gmcman7202

gmcman7202 1/2 ton status

that is if you dont need the floor also, i was talking about using the whole newer bed bottom from maybe a rolled over bed, where the whole foor is still good, if its the back brace, then yes the new part would be the easiest.