Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame repair Q's

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by B_to_C, Sep 18, 2006.

1. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

Backstory: I picked up a 79 1-ton truck because I had done this
    [​IMG]
    And this
    [​IMG]
    to my K5 frame.

So I took out the motor of the 79 and found this :doah:
    [​IMG]

first notice the notch in the left side of the picture. After I scrubbed off some more dirt I found out this notch travels about .5" into that bottom frame rail. It looks like something cut it, not like my twisted frame created cracks on my K5 frame.

to the right in the photo you see a nice jagged edge where frame has been cut out. -the going theory is someone cut out the old exhaust at some point and got into the frame without realizing it.

How should I repair these sections? SHOULD I repair these sections? is this not a high enough stress area on the frame to worry about or...?

2. mrk5

mrk5 The Sticker Guy Moderator Vendor GMOTM Winner Author

For more reference, the engine crossmember would be about 3" to the left of the notch in that picture. The jagged crap is towards the rear of the truck.

3. B_to_C

B_to_C 1/2 ton status Author

4. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Which frame do you want to repair? The one with the crack at the crossmember needs to be repaired. The other frame damage isn't bad enough to worry about, unless there's a bunch of rust/scale under the grease. The damage to the '79 frame isn't in a high flex/stress area.
    Jimbo