Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame slightly bent....is it a big problem?

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by DuckhunterInTN, Jul 14, 2003.

1. DuckhunterInTN

DuckhunterInTN Newbie

I have a 72 Jimmy. We were out in it riding when the front left tire fell into a pretty large hole. After extracting the truck we noticed that the front axle was off center. Apparently the left front tire got caught in the hole pretty good and shoved the rear springs back into a piece bolted to the frame behind the shackle. This caused the lower portion of the frame to become kinked. I carried to to a frame shop and they more or less straightened it, but it is not perfect. During the accident nothing else was harmed on the truck, front axle, body, or suspension-wise. I was actually very suprised to find the frame got bent in this slight of a crash.

My question is this: Should I worry about the frame still having a kink in it? Will this cause me problems down the road? Should a frame shop be able to fix it perfectly? I am about to start sinking a bunch of money into this truck but want to get this sorted out first.

2. bouncytruck

bouncytruck 1/2 ton status

Is your front end aligned? Does the truck "crab" when your driving it down the road. You can measure the front box to see if it is equal. Measure diagonally on each side to see if it is out of square.

3. DuckhunterInTN

DuckhunterInTN Newbie

When they fixed it at the frame shop they said that they got it straight. None of the body panels are distorted. The axle does not look perfectly centered IMO, but then again with aftermarket rims that stick out it is hard to tell because it looks like it is "crabbing" anyways.

Any specific points should I measure to/from?

My main question is that even if it is bent would this be a fairly easy fix? Could this cause any expensive problems (i.e., need to swap frames) down the road? Or is a frame getting out of whack fairly common and not a big deal to fix? Given what I have told you about it so far, what would be the worst case scenerio?

4. clubba68

clubba68 1/2 ton status

You could wet the tires down, and then drive straight on dry pavement. You should see two sets of tire tracks, if you see four /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif
    Andrew /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

5. DuckhunterInTN

DuckhunterInTN Newbie

If the truck is off enough to make 4 distinct tracks that don't overlap I think I could tell that with my naked eye! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Stroked72Blazer

Stroked72Blazer 1/2 ton status

Arent the front axles wider than the rear axles any way?
    Tatldalso couse two sets of tracks. I asume when you say crabbing you are refering to what we Arkansans refer to as dog leggin? If that is the case a goog alignment or frame shop can determine if thats the case. Or you could do it the redneck way and get your buddy to drive it streight and follow him in another vehicle to tell if it doglegs to one side. (Remember that front axle is wider so check both sides.) Hell if you drink enough beers then they all streighten out don't they.

7. jasonkh2tg

jasonkh2tg 1/2 ton status

In the truck service manual for GM 10-30 trucks will give you the frame specs....or you can always you a tram gauge if you have access to a frame rack... /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

8. Don

Don 1/2 ton status

What kind of a frame shop did You take it too? To let the rig go out the door like that, they outta have their pp slapped. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

9. DuckhunterInTN

DuckhunterInTN Newbie

It was a body shop with a frame alignment machine. He said the thing was straight but the frame still has a kink in it...

10. COLLISION

COLLISION 1/2 ton status

Measure your wheel base side to side, if it is out by more than 3/8" then your axle has moved or your frame has a diamond condition. Cross measure the frame from any holes or bolts that are the same on both rails, this will tell you where the problem is.
    Depending on how big the buckle is and it's location, it could affect your drivability and will affect tire wear if your truck is dog tracking.

I've repaired alot of frames and if you have the right equipment there is no excuse for leaving any damage behind. Either you did not make your wishes clear, only wanted to fix it cheaply, or the shop is full of s*(t.

Take it to a shop that has a laser measuring system and have them supply you with printouts of before and after repair specs.
    just my 02 /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif