Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Splicing Help

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crazyhole812, Mar 3, 2006.

1. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

i shortened my 3/4 ton frame. now i need to figure how to reinforce it. i read the frame mod bible thread already. i talked to a guy today at the utility bed place and he said they ususally just butt weld and the weld a diamond on the inside. i was thinking of a diamond welded to the outside and then a long 36-40" plate bolted to the inside. does this seem sufficient? i was just wondering if i should somehow strengthen the flanges laterally?

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

personally I'd put a diamond on the bottom of the frame, one on the outside of the frame and the plate bolted to the inside sounds like a good idea. You can't go wrong adding beef. Weight savings is nice but if it means breaking a frame for a few pounds, forget it.

3. jk3078

jk3078 1/2 ton status

When I shortend my frame I took a 12'' section of what I cut out narrowed it (3/8'' I think) to fit inside the frame at the butt weld, bolted it in useing 4 1/2'' bolts and then welded the top and bottom. I got the idea from a local semi truck shop and in theory it should be stronger than any other part of the frame. You also will want to grind the welds out smooth to prevent a "stress riser".

4. MNorby

MNorby 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i did my spline in the middle of the cross member that the front springs hanger for the rear spings rides so the crossmember hold it together along with the spring hanger. I spliced it at an angle, not a straight up and down and I didn't fish plate it and have never had a problem with it

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

this is the best way to do it, all be it a bit more difficult than a straight cut and fishplate.

6. camiswelding

camiswelding 1/2 ton status

I use a Z type cut... so stress is spread out... never had any problems.. alhough I do try to stay at least 6 inches aways from hangers or crossmembers... or areas of higher stress

cam

7. crazyhole812

crazyhole812 1/2 ton status

that was my original plan but then i didn't want to mess with the crossmember. now i have to mess with two. i should have reconsidered before i cut. i guess i'll just have to make it work now.