Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame stamping Q

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by big94gmc, May 7, 2006.

1. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

I used to know, and now I'm drawing a blank.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt the location of the "production year stamping", on the frame, on the outside of the frame, underneath the drivers side floor pan?

Also, what will it say? How do you decipher the stamping to identify the year of the chassis??

Thanks, guys.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, can't help other than to say what the State Patrol told me after my inspection.

First off, they were able to use whatever number was there to decide it wasn't from the donor year/vehicle VIN I said it was. Oops.

Second, it is on the TOP of the frame underneath the seat. So you need one of those dental mirrors or something to see it with the body in place.

I suspect it's just a partial VIN as earlier, although in the different location. Since the length of the VIN changed over the years, as did stamping location, even if it's the production sequence portion only, that would be enough to narrow it down to a general year range, and with the proper software and database access, the sequence can probably be used to "reverse engineer" the whole VIN.

I guess it depends what you need to glean from it, or if it's just curiosity, as to what it can be used for. :)

3. big94gmc

big94gmc 1/2 ton status

Ok, anyone else??