Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Strength Question

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Jimbo*, Dec 25, 2005.

1. Jimbo*

Jimbo* 1/2 ton status

Hey guys, Got a question for you; I have had three "new style" GM pickups (88,96,& 98), and all had the same problem;the frame cracks around the engine mounts and supports. When GM redesigned them for '99, did they improve these areas,or are they still the same? I have always been a GM man, but for my kind of work (ranching in VERY rough country) the '88 up models just don't hold up. In fact, for the last 10 years I have owned more Furds than GMs. Each side has their good and bad, but I would really prefer to run GMs if they will hold up. Any help or advice will be appreciated.
    Jimbo

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i havent seen this my self. but the newer stuff is hydro formed frame rails and has more supports i think. if i remember to when i have one up at work i can look for ya.

3. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

mY '97 K2500 w/180k mi, and 6.5TD motor doesn't show any cracks....
    The frame was all new in '99-up Silverado models.

4. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I've had a coulpe of these styles, as well as 2 right now. Both are 1 tons with 454s, and no probs here. To be honest, never heard of frames cracking on these. If my buddy's yard is open tomorrow, I will look at some trucks there. Only thing I've noticed on these trucks is the springs, they crack around the rear-most bushing. Mine is, noticed AFTER I put it on.

5. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

yep the spring eye is a factory problem. the spring eye was wraped to tight for the bushing size. and spreads and breaks over time.