Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Swap/Blazer K30

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Goose, May 4, 2000.

1. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I would like to put a frame from a 1 ton vehicle under my K5 and use it's running gear and all. It seems this may eleviate a lot of problems with axle swaps and whatnot, but may create some of its own. From a past post it was said that the K5 frames are different from pickups. Anybody know the differences from a Suburban to K5 frame may be? I'm thinking if I find a 1 ton 4x4 Suburban I could just shortent the frame and put the K5 body on it and have a parts vehicle to boot. Any body have a Sub and K5 they could do some mearsuring on? How about directions to a site that may have some information regarding frame dimentions????? Also, I believe that the 1 ton vehicles have heavier duty frames. Is that true or have I been staying up too late at night thinking about mods for the K5?

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?

2. I have never seen a 1 ton Burb ! There is no problem with most axle swaps, they usually bolt right in, it is the shafts, ect.. that need the TLC. 1 tons do have a more rigid frame, but when you cut it, there goes that strength you wanted. I have an 1/2 framed 88 Burb with 1 ton axles if you still want some measurements tell me want you want/need.

[​IMG]<font color=red>BigBurb[​IMG]
    <font color=purple>IF YOU'RE SCARED, SAY YOU'RE SCARED !!

3. Truckfan2

Truckfan2 1/2 ton status

I've seen about 3 1 tons in one day!!! I was at a FourWheel Fun Fest in IL and all three ran in the tough truck comp... mann, those things just bounced (very smoothly) over the obstacles... I think one did crap out though. I think that putting one ton gear on the K5 frame will be easier and less discouraging than trying to figure out everything need to do it... maybe a custom frame could be considered???

NEVER been stuck... *yet*

4. Goose

Goose 1/2 ton status

I see your point, esp with the 1 ton Burb not being produced. Thanks for the input. The idea is not dead, but not far from it.

Mud is just thick water, or is it that water is just thin mud?