Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame swap?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mouse, Mar 27, 2004.

1. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

My friend has a '64 sub, 2 wheel drive that we are converting to 4 wheel drive. He has a '78 long bed pickup ready to donate its life for the conversion. Since neither of us has done something like this, we have thought of 3 options to accomplish the swap. First, cut the truck frame 18 inches and fab the sub body to the frame. Second, lengthen the body 18 inches to match the frame (too much work). Third, fab custom spring perches for the front and swap the suspension over to the sub from the truck - an alternate to this option would be to cut the front frame section from both and weld the truck frame portion onto the sub.

Anyone have any experience with this or recommendations. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would swap the entire front suspension over and forget about chopping up your frame.

3. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Welding spring perches on the sub frame does sound like the easiest approach. Although I'm not sure of the support we would need to add in...

4. bryguy00b

bryguy00b 3/4 ton status

3 option sounds like your best bet to me, i dont think ud want to cut ur frame ard re-weld no matter how good u are..

5. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

The last one sounds best /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

6. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    3 option sounds like your best bet to me, i dont think ud want to cut ur frame ard re-weld no matter how good u are..

[/ QUOTE ]

If welded properly, the frame would break before the weld.

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Welding spring perches on the sub frame does sound like the easiest approach. Although I'm not sure of the support we would need to add in...

[/ QUOTE ]

or take the hard route... put it on a newer 4x4 chassis, and have to weld the body mounts on, AND have to lift the heavy ass body (like me). just weld the spring perches in, its MUCH easier that way.

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Third, fab custom spring perches for the front and swap the suspension over to the sub from the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the best and easiest way to go. I am in the process of doing this on a '66 GMC pickup right now and have a couple of magazine articles that Petersons did on a '64 Chevy pickup that show exactly how to do it step by step /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

11. mouse

mouse 1/2 ton status

Thanks Kenny, just what I was looking for... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. bgchvy79

bgchvy79 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Third, fab custom spring perches for the front and swap the suspension over to the sub from the truck

[/ QUOTE ]

We've just finished this on my truck, I can send you pictures and tell you exactly how we did all of this if you need. Email me at muddmann05@yahoo.com

13. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

If youre going to cut youre frame you had better know how to weld good it can be done but sometimes it is a headache or two or three we just sliced a one ton chevy frame longbed and made it a shortbed it was a lot of work it just takes alot of time but fabing the front axle inn should only take a couple of days to do if you have a frame to steal all the pieces from so the ? comes is it going to be a show tk are play tk. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

14. scoutillac

scoutillac 1/2 ton status

Can't you air chisel all the rivets from the donor vehicle and retro them to the burban? Then you could just bolt and tack everything together. (In a perfect world) /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

15. grd2go

grd2go Registered Member

You go and air chisel those huck rivets off when you can beat a minute a rivet then call me I have got a couple of months of work for you only luck I have had with them is grinder drill or torch with a torch being the fastest and easist.. /forums/images/graemlins/crewcab.gif /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif