Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Swap

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by Oldguy, Apr 23, 2005.

1. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

being brand new to this site , perhaps this ? has been asked and answered before , but here goes . being the proud owner of 4 GM full size 4-wheel drive vehicles , i wondered if anyone had looked into the possibility of swapping a late model frame and drivetrain (2002 and up) under a 1994 fullsize blazer ? is there a close match ? i sure would like to have my 94 ride and handle like my 02 Denali , we are not afraid of some fabrication as long as it doesnt get to wild ! any help would be appreciated ! we have done a frame off restoration on a 87 Suburban , including putting in a Vortech supercharged Lt-1, we are just finishing up putting a 5.7 Vortec in my sons 93 pickup

2. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

well i know that the trucks are about 2-3" longer in just the cab length. but its all posible with a few mods hear and there.

3. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

i was hoping someone out there had tried this swap or had an idea of who i could talk to ?

4. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I think that you would be better off duplicating what GM has done with the Denali suspension with your 94. The design is very similar, and I would think with good shock selection (Bilstien would be a good start, maybe a having a set built), and spring rates (torsion bars might interchange). Take a look at replacing the body and suspension rubber, and adding some sound proofing to the 94 body (quiet rides are more comfortable IMO). Also, look at seat and carpet/insulation improvements. I think all of this would be much cheaper and easier than a body swap. BTW, don't forget that 99-02 Denali and Escalade were OBS (same as your 94 basically), and most suspension/interior/body parts will swap right onto your 94.

5. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

Frame Swap / Suspension Swap

would it be easier to find a late model ,totalled Tahoe , Suburban etc. and retrofit the front and rear suspension in to a 94 full size Blazer ? i guess i should stay away from the all-wheel drive versions , does anyone have any opinions on this path ?

6. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

I did forget about the IRS. I don't think you could retrofit the IRS from the NBS Tahoe/Yukon, but again, with good shock selection, I bet it would ride much better then it does now, and could be better then the OBS Denali/Escalade.

7. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

suspension swap

do you know of a shop that has done a swap like i am suggesting ? i thought the rear suspension on my Denali is a straight axle ?

8. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Um, no chevy IRS on those trucks. You've been spending too much time wiht the ford crowd.....

9. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

Suspensin Swap

no Fords for me ! been a Chevy man since 59 . although reading the news GM had better do something quick ! back to the suspension ; any ideas aabout swapping a 2002 or later drivetrain into my 94 ?

10. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

:doah: :what: When I typed IRS, I was picturing the coil spring GM suspension. Sorry for the confusion. I would still look at spring and shock selection from the OBS Denali/Escalade. You could check the torsion bar rate on the Denali's, and I have a link to another site with all of the codes listed.

11. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

Suspension Swap

what years are you suggesting i look at ? please let me know what the link is . the rear suspensin on my Blazer is leaf spring , thanks !

12. Oldguy

Oldguy Registered Member

Suspension Swap

please let me know what that link is , when did GM switch from rear leafs to coils ?

13. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

GM produced the OBS Denali and Escalade (basically rebadged Tahoe/Yukon) from 99-01. GM switched to the new body style in 2000 for the Tahoe/Yukon and then 01 for the Denali/Escalade. The OBS (basically the same as the 88-up line of trucks, 92-up sport ute's) used the same IFS and rear straight axle from the pickups/sport ute's. The NBS sport ute's used a 4 link style of coil spring rear suspension (such as your 02 Denali), unlike the pickup truck's leaf spring rear axle.

What I was suggesting is to look into the shock and spring package that GM used on the OBS (99-01) Denali/Escalade to improve the ride of your 94. The coil spring suspension of the NBS sport utlities would be really hard to adapt to your 94 IMO. If you check in most major junkyards, you could find a wrecked OBS Denali to swap out the torsion bars/shocks out of. Just a suggestion, good luck with your project, sounds like fun.