Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame too wide for 2nd NP 203 crossmember with doubler, options?

Discussion in 'OffRoad Design' started by dawson444, Feb 5, 2004.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I got my doubler installed. I have a crossmember under the 203 foot right now. I went to install my second 203 crossmember under the doubler adapter. It seems like the frame is a little too wide for it and it will only line up with a small part of the frame. It appaears like the frame bends outward slightly at the point where it needs to mount. It lines up pretty much right where there is a bracket for the stock e brake cable on the driver side. Any ideas? Thanks!

2. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

You can get another crossmember and cut out a section to splice into another crossmember.

3. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I know we had to widen my crossmember for my K5. We cut it and used a sectioned piece of tubing to make the patch. We cut it to fit over the crossmember, then welded a couple pieces of plate under it to make the flanges. I've also seen plate welded onto the crossmember's frame mounting surface to "stretch" it out by just extending the bolt surface to where it will grab more frame.
    Some advice: make sure the crossmember is wide enough to push on the outside leg of the frame so that when you set the truck down on the crossmember, it's pushing on a strong, vertical part of the frame instead of the weak flange.