Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frame Twisting? opinions please

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by sled_dog, Jan 7, 2003.

1. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I put my truck up on a buddy's bike ramp just for fun and some pictures. Didn't climb as high as I would like but thats another issue here is the issue, when I got it up and got out to look I noticed the bumper was tilted. It was up on the driver side and down on the passenger. When the truck sits on the groun it doesn't do this. It doesn't do it when i put a tire up on a curb just under this articulation. Think my frame is twisting with the articulation?
    [​IMG]

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Yes, the frame twists...and so does the body. Next time try and open or close the tailgate or doors with it flexed like that.../forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

Rene

3. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

alright thanks. I did open the door and got out while it was up there. I was able to make it just a little bit higher but my engine fan started to hit the fan shroud so I had to back off. Would it be a good idea to reinforce the frame on a truck you wanted to be really flexy? I bought a 72 blazer I want to get to score one heck of a high score on the RTI ramp so just wondering.

4. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Relace your body mounts with poly ones and it won't twist nearly that much... </font color>

5. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I'm not worried about it this is just my daily driver that hits the mud now and again. My next rig I will worry about it.

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Your first mod should be to fill out your profile.../forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'm stripping an '88 K5 in my garage. Right now it has the engine, tranny, transfer case, rear end, and front clip removed. I had a jack under the front end the other day and was amazed at how much I could see the frame flex as I jacked up the little bit that's left of this truck. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

8. Brian 89KBlazer

Brian 89KBlazer 1/2 ton status

Sounds like fabbing a new boxed tube chassis would be what you need!!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Ahhhh!! The joys of custom fabrication, eh Harry??!!?? /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I was thinking on my 72 I would fab some more rigid crossmembers, anyone think this would be a good idea or not? and hey look at that I added a profile

10. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

Yes, stiffening your frame is good, and get some flexy soft springs to do the flexing.
    As you noticed when you flex the body and frame sometimes bad things happen like the fan hitting something, or shaffing a wire or not being able to disengage a clutch (that happenes to me).

11. HarryH3

Howdy Brian! Actually, this is just what you needed a year or two ago. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif A straight, rust free frame from an '88 K5. It would have been WAY less work than custom building that new frame of yours from scratch. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

12. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

I didn't even think about the fact that it could screw up my clutch. I was gonna do a hydraulic clutch in my next truck for just that reason, didn't even think of it with my present ride. My plan is 8" of lift with only 4" of spring, drop the front spring mounts 4" and shackle flip in the back, then some nice flexy 4" springs, thinking skyjackers.

13. HarryH3

I had a '77 K5 with a 465 tranny, 4 inch lift and 35's. If I got it crossed up just right and pressed the clutch pedal, it would just slam to the floor. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif But the clutch wouldn't disengage. /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif Another time I pulled into a rut to jump start a buddies Bronco, but my hood wouldn't unlatch. I had to back up to a more level spot, open the hood and then pull back close to his rig. /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif

14. BigBurban350

BigBurban350 1/2 ton status

It looks like your friend needs some body mounts. When my truck had blew out body mounts and I went off road articulation caused the bumper like in the picture to knock out my turn signal lens and dented the fender. Get some energy suspension poly mounts, and he might as well do a body lift while hes at it. /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif

15. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

its my truck I used my friends ramp, yeah the front mounts at least are shot. I sort of figured it was frame and body twist because my one turn signal light broke a while ago and it was perfectly fine when i put it on. Looked like it twisted about and broke.

16. wrathORC

wrathORC 1/2 ton status

Time to inspect the body mounts. I'm willing to bet you've got at least a couple rotted off cups. The rubber has probably seen better days too. I replaced all mine with OE ones because I don't want to feel every bump in the road.

17. methcat

methcat Registered Member

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I'm not worried about it this is just my daily driver that hits the mud now and again. My next rig I will worry about it.

[/ QUOTE ]
    actually, the first gen's i've driven were alot stiffer anyway... i've got 74 now. just looking at the frames on 69-72's seem beefier to me, but, that's just what i've noticed...

c

18. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Well the stronger grame thing is good to know, don't have to do as much as I was thinking. As for my rig, yeah the rubber has seen better days, the cups are all fine, maybe a little surface rust but nothing bad. The passenger side front bolt was missing when I got the truck and my dad through a new bolt in for inspection thinking maybe it fell out, haven't checked.

19. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

Alan,

Welcome to CK5! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

There are various stages that will help stiffen the frame flex....

1. Poly Mounts (as stated already)
    2. Boxing the frame (Basically weld a metal plate on the open side of the C-Channel shaped frame to create a "box" shape
    3. Install a cage to triangulate the frame

The concept that's hard for people to understand is that a simple ladder frame is NOT going to strong torsionally (like when you ramp it). Even after boxing the frame there is very little strength to prevent twisting.

By incorporating a rollcage, you will have the ability to use traingular crossbraces (triangles are the key!) to stiffen everything up. A non-triangulated cage is still better than nothing, and better than boxing the frame by itself......

Just my $.02 I've got a plan like this for my 1st Gen, but it's still probably at least a year away from completion. /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

20. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    alright thanks. I did open the door and got out while it was up there. I was able to make it just a little bit higher but my engine fan started to hit the fan shroud so I had to back off.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Check your motor mounts. They are proably shot. The engine sits low when they are bad and it's sometimes enough that the fan hits the shroud.
    Some twist is normal but you may have bad body bushings. Check the ones on the core suport. They tend to go first.