Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

frame

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Rattler, Oct 19, 2002.

1. Rattler

Rattler Registered Member

am lookin for something i don't know what there called . it is a bar with mounts on it. both sides of truck rear axle. mounts to lower rear axle just under leaf springs and the other end has a mount on it that connects to the frame.???its about 4ft long.... gotta a name for these. i thought they were sway bars but there not.

2. st08x

st08x Registered Member

yo i think those are called torsion bars but i'm not sure. thats what they are on new model trucks.

3. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Sound more like traction bars to me... torsion bars are for IFS aren't they... and I guess IRS for the newer trucks that have it. But he said under the leaf spring so obviously its not going to be IRS... so my vote goes for "traction bar" i think they are used to prevent axle wrap.

4. 87sm465np208

87sm465np208 1/2 ton status

oh shoot, yea i saw those on a ferd on trucks tv once, i think its so you get more travel out of the suspension, yea you see them on 2wd off-road stadium trucks too, i seen them made by superlift, and ranchero, check the superlift website, that might tell ya what they are called.
    /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

5. madmike

madmike 1/2 ton status

That's a panhard bar.

6. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

I know which bar your talking about, GM even used them on the 95 Blazer K5's. Dunno what its for though!

7. GMslave

GMslave 1/2 ton status

I think what you are thinking of is a form of traction bar. A panhard rod is used mostly in a 4 link setup to secure the axle laterally (side to side), traction bars are used to avoid axle wrapup. If you don't know what this is, it's when the axle tries to rotate due to the pinion effect, and actually flexes the spring into kinda an ess shape,which it then rebounds back from (it's a spring y'know), what you get is a "bark,bark,bark,bark" from the tires. Traction bars move the point of contact to either the frame, or the front leaf spring eye.