Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Frames and VINs, etc? Wrecked my baby this weekend

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by knudel, Nov 15, 2002.

1. knudel

knudel Registered Member

This weekend I hydroplaned and hit a phone pole with my 82 K-5. On the funny side, I knocked out the power for a few blocks, including the power at Starz Cabaret! But sadly, it's been totaled. I'm planning on buying it back from the insurance company, as a ballpark to start I'll get the truck and approx 2700. But i think the frame is bent, and either way it has a salvage title now. I've read about 75 pages of posts tonight, saw one that mentioned when switching the frame the state police inspect it since it's a different vehicle and issue a new VIN, anyone know if this is so in Oregon? I'm never planning on selling it, but a clean title would be nice. Either way, I figure I'm swapping the frame. Who knows what all I can use?

Apparently no older than.. 77? What about 1/2 ton K-10 shortbed frames, and what years of them, or does the rise eliminate that option?

I know I'm asking alot, but... what thoughts on how much it'll need? You'll ruin my day if you tell me not to bother with it, but... To me it looks like I pretty much need a new front clip (right?) and passenger door. Aside from that I think everything else lines up pretty much right. Anyone in Oregon with a donor vehicle or parts they wanna get rid of, PLEASE let me know!! Heck, even somewhere to do it is still a question.

The adjustor took a glance and said at least $7000 of damage, not even thinking about fixing it.

I'm sure you can all see this is the first post I've done... I was at least up to a few then forgot what my username and password both were!! Okay so I'm a tard. I'm gonna hope one or both of the links below will work, if not let me know. They're to the same page.

One of these may work. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    My wrecked Blazer

2. BLUESMAN

BLUESMAN 1/2 ton status

Phoenix(but it\'s a dry heat...like an oven!)AZ.
    You have alot of work coming up to do this frame swap.I did it a few months ago.You are going to need an '81 and up frame.The bumber mounts are different on the pre '81 models.Basically you want to pull the whole body off,minus that nice crunched front clip.Pull the steering column,disconnect the wire harnesses,brake cylinder,fuel lines and hoses.I lifted the body using 3-4x6" timber about 10' long to support the body and push the bad frame out.Then transfer all your drivetrain to the good frame and slide it under the good body.It's alot of work!!You will have to get an K/5 frame as the short bed P/U's are about 6" longer.It would be a good time to rid the 10 bolt diffs and swap to 3/4 ton diffs.The K/5 bodys are heavy when fully loaded with the interior,I'd remove the top.Glad to hear the you want to keep your truck,but be prepared for a couple weeks worth of hard work!!Fill out your profile and maybe someone here can help you out!!Sad to say but you might want to just part it out and start with another K/5.Mike

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

When you get it back strip the front clip off it. The frame may be bent (likely) or it may not. You won't know till you get all the mangled sheet metal out of the way. Seeing the front U-bolt bent is a good sign IMO, that tells me the tire/axle took the hit. The U-bolts bent but perhaps the frame didn't make contact.

If the frame is toast you can either pay to have it straightened or remove the body tub of the wreck and drop it on another frame. I'd look for a 78-91 Blazer or Jimmy thats got a rusty body and buy it for the frame. The tedious part is gonna be swapping your drivetrain and body onto the donor frame...but you already knew that./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

My Jimmy got rear ended by a fullsize Ford pick-up a year and a half ago...there are parts of my body that don't line up worth a sh!t anymore. My frame has a slight tweak in the rear, but not enough to cause an track problems or anything like that. Now my truck is more suited to wheeling the tighter trails/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Salvage title isn't a big deal if you don't plan on selling it anytime soon...

Rene

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Just as an aside, you don't HAVE to let them total the vehicle unless you just need the money. Its your vehicle and you have to LET them total it. In other words, you could get it back, fix it, and swap frame if necessary, without going through an inspection.

Of course, I doubt thats legal in any state (no re-inspection) since the frame VIN will no longer match the body VIN. Every state varies somewhat on what they require in these situations, you'll either need to talk to the DMV or Police (state?) to figure out your options.

5. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I just called my insurance agent to ask about not totaling it, if I don't make the claim they'll still possible raise my insurance, but she said they may not at all with my record being great otherwise. Sadly I'm gonna let them and then get it back becuase I'm dirt poor right now and they'll give me at least 2500 of so.

So only a Blazer frame, check. :-) Dumb question, what exactly do ya'll want in my profile? I mean, my Blazer description and location yes, but does anything else help?

I know it's gonna take a ton of work, but as opposed to losing it and starting over, at least to me it feels I've done alot to it. I know not compared to most of them on here, I've only had it a little less than a year, so far it's been smaller stuff: new carpet, interior panels, alarm with remote keyless, tint, MP3 player, amp and box built into the side panels, lift I put on, tires and (dirt cheap for now) wheels. So alot of it i could take and put on another one granted, but I know the owners of it since 82 and the reason they sold it to me was they knew I'd care for it, and, well, I'm a sap.

Maybe anything else should go in the for wanted forum, but until I send in membership, sorry I'm mentioning it here. Now that I at least put where I am, anyone who has a donor frame, axles, or front clip, let me know what you want for them, and even if you have space somewhere you are willing to rent, etc out while I work on it, let me know! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

That's a good point on the u-bolts, but I forgot to mention that looking at it from the front, you can see the leaf springs are diagonal for lack of a better explanation. They look straight, just that the front bracket's been moved over.

Any other input on what else I should do? I think if I can learn enough, I'll try the idea of getting 3/4 ton axles, thanks for the feedback guys!!

6. tRustyK5

When I got rear ended the lady that hit me was drunk and had no insurance. It happened in Portland and I'm from Canada so my only option was to sue my own insurance through the "Uninsured Motorist protection" portion. It was a long battle to get anything and at the end of it all they refused to pay for any damage to my truck, I did get paid for my injury and lost wages though but the sum was quite modest.

Finding a place to do all the work should be the number one priority. After that it's all elbow grease and asking questions here until you have it back together.

Rene

7. dyeager535

So you will definitely have to check with your state to determine whats going to happen, unless someone on here knows for sure about your state. I know WA extensively, and I know that I should have had receipts for every major piece on the truck, WITH the donor VIN. Doors, frame, tailgate, front sheet metal, etc.

I also no longer have a "real" VIN, my state issued one is in the door jamb, the one on the dash was removed.

What I don't understand is why they won't give you slightly less than $2500, and not total it. Its no skin off of their back. It *could* be a lot less hassle to get it back wrecked, with $2200 cash, and a clean title, than having to go through the inspection process. (even though skipping reinspection after swaps is probably theoretically illegal)

Then again, a clean title really isn't worth much, these trucks probably won't be any more of a "collector" whether the title is clean or not, just as long as they look nice and are straight.

8. knudel

knudel Registered Member

So when the state issued you a VIN, what's it considered? Clean? Not a real model, as in if you'd built the whole thing, or what? How about at least in WA about the cost of inspection process, and what all is involved? You're right about them not totaling it and giving me a bit less, that'd be great. Too bad I doubt they'd go for it.

Yeah I'm not even looking at parts yet. If someone has something they may have to sit on it til I get a place to do it. I live in apartments and there's not a chance in hola my parents want it there. Funny thing about that... I usually leave my car there for about a month at a time and they don't mind at all, cause it's pretty. But the Blazer... LOL a few days and my mom calls and says she's sick of looking at it.

And tRusty, that really bites, funny how they're like that, isn't it. Oddly, when my car was broken into, they didn't flinch at writing me a 2600 check for all the stuff in it, but my Blazer I'll be fighting to get more than that out of the whole thing.

9. tRustyK5

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    And tRusty, that really bites

[/ QUOTE ]

My lawyer did as well as I think anyone could have...the insurance clause in question isn't that strong and going to court would have been a gamble. What bites is that the lady didn't have insurance... /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

Anyways, to sooth my hurt feelings I used my settlement check to buy a D60 front and 14 bolt rear with 4.56's and a rear Detroit./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

10. 85army tank

85army tank 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifi live in southren mn and did a tub swap and had to have it inspected by the state becuse the vin on the rust free tub was diffrent then the frame and when i got the title in the mail it says reconstructed vehicle on it i do have an 88 frame but you are a little ways a way and i am glad you wheren't hurt or worse lets hear it for american iron goes to show you how well built /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gifs are /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

11. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I've swapped cabs, frames, and almost everything else. No problems. Even bought a bare cab from a wrecking yard and managed to get registration for it by producing the receipt at the insurance broker. Then I swapped it onto my truck to get around a vehicle inspection! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

The only times I've heard of vehicles being checked for VINs is if its under heavy suspicion of being stolen - or assembled of stolen parts. Not a routine check around here.

Its considered perfectly legal to repair a vehicle with up to %50 of another written-off vehicle. Inspection is only required on vehicles that are written-off, but declared rebuildable.

12. knudel

knudel Registered Member

Man I just don't have any idea what to do in that case. If I end up with a reconstructed title anyways I guess ill just get my frame straightened, unless its too bad off. I doubt it tho. My head sure is getting full of more questions! So... Who wants to help!?! /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif im thinking in that case I can use the frame and front clip tho off another K5 and then that title, if im nuts enough to decide it means that much, or is that not 50%? Thank you again for being so much help!!!

13. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

or is that not 50%?

That's just it /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif Who knows?

So there's two VINs per truck - one on the frame and one on the body. Each one is 50% right? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. dyeager535

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    So when the state issued you a VIN, what's it considered? Clean? Not a real model, as in if you'd built the whole thing, or what? How about at least in WA about the cost of inspection process, and what all is involved? You're right about them not totaling it and giving me a bit less, that'd be great. Too bad I doubt they'd go for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

My title is basically a salvage title, IF I ever get one. Since my frame VIN didn't match the bill of sale I produced for it (imagine that!) the inspector noted on the paperwork for the DMV that frame ownership was questionable, and recommended I not ever get a title. Nice.

Thats in this state though, so again, it could be different.

I'll just reiterate that its your vehicle, so don't let them push you around.

15. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

are dead set on a frame swap? You may want to take it to a frame shop and see if they can straighten it out, then just replace the front clip and the passenger door and you should be good to go........ well i guess your front end might need some work too but thats cake walk...

16. knudel

knudel Registered Member

No, I'm not dead set on it, and the more replies I get the more I'm thinking that you're right that it may just be better to let a shop straighten the existing one.

I tried to start it last night, replaced the battery that's broken in several places. I see no reason the 2nd batter should be dead after only a week, especially being as the alarm wasn't working. After finally finding the right remotes and getting it to shutup, I turn the key, the glow plug light comes on, then once I try to crank it, it sounds like trhe starter's trying for maybe a sec, then a two sec gap, and it tries again. Not what I'm used to from a dead batt, but you never know... I tried junping it, no diff. Anybody think there's a likelyhood the impact siezed the engine? The body guy said that when he was first looking at it. I can't get the hood open yet to try to turn it at the crank. (I replaced the battery through where the fender should be on the side!! /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif)

17. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

I'm a claims adjuster in Virginia. Here, it doesn't matter if you straighten the frame or replace or whatever. If the vehicle sustains 75% of it's value in damage then it's totalled and if the owner keeps it, it still gets a salvage title per state law. Same way in North Carolina too. The insurance company is forced to file paper work with the DMV's. They make us do it. It doesn't matter if you replace the frame or staighten or whatever. In my opinion, your truck has way more damage than it's worth so it's totalled. These laws are in place to keep people from rebuilding them and then selling them to unsuspecting buyers. I hear lots of vehicles are brought into Kansas to get retitled as they have slack laws and then they are moved back out to other states and retitled again and sold as perfect vehicles. The law is a good law. It's here to protect buyers. In your case, it's gonna hurt but over-all it's for the best. And to the poster who said it's not up to the insurance company....well, that's wrong. The only way out of the situation, is to withdraw your claim completely and accept no payment which probably is not a wise move financially at this point. Besides, the insurance company will still count the wreck against you whether you collect a payment or not at this point. Your best bet is to buy another one with the money and take parts off this one and do it your way if you don't want the salvage title.

18. knudel

knudel Registered Member

I don't think the title is THAT important to me, more just a luxury I'd love to have, it clean. So, I suppose I'll cope. There I go making a big deal of not much. Thanks for explaining that!

19. PGL4VT

PGL4VT Registered Member

Additionally, after re-reading, I think the earlier poster was saying what I said in withdrawing the claim so maybe I spoke too soon there. Since your driving record is clean except for this, they may not charge you for this wreck as some companies "forgive" your first wreck (my co. does) but if you have another one down the road, then this could come back to bite you.

20. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

sorry to hear about the balzer but i have a question . what the heck is up with your gas door in the second pic down ??!! never seen that before u have an extra tank or what ?
    /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif