Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Freakin' SCARY!

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Impex, Jan 10, 2001.

1. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

Freakin\' SCARY!

I am new to 4x4 driving so if you guy's could tell me what this driver did wrong. Because i would hate this to happen to myself or anyone of you guy's. Maybe other people could learn from this. I am guessing that he was going to fast and started bouncing and then turned/or lost control? not really sure. And this is my biggest fear when offroading. I want a cage [​IMG]

click for rollover movie
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://jeepnow.com/mbrollm2.mov>http://jeepnow.com/mbrollm2.mov</A>

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Impex on 01/10/01 08:26 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Re: Freakin\' SCARY!

I think that was Potato Salad Hill in Moab. Its a bunch of pebble type rocks I think(never been there) and you have to go full throttle to get up. Well, that guy started to get sideways because he was turning to get a better line i guess, and when you get sideways on a hill you have a huge chance of rolling plus he was bouncing so that made it even worse [​IMG] But you are supposed to try and back down a hill but he turned(I'm sure he didn't mean to turn that much though) and it looks like that's when he lost it

[​IMG]

3. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Why is a k5 rollover at a jeep page? hmmm i dont know what the problem was though

[​IMG]

4. blazen91

blazen91 1/2 ton status

That sucks! It looks like to me the rear wheels started slipping, so the front fishtailed, if you will, and he was bouncing at the same time. I think if he would have backed off alittle sooner, he could have saved it. It also looks like he was doing a bonsi run.

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazen91.coloradok5.com</A>
    Protect the land FOR the people
    Not FROM the people

5. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If you look at it real close. Has soon has he started bouncing he let of the throttle (natural reaction) He shouldn't have. If he had kept on it he might have spun the rearend back around to straight. But it's hard to say if he could have saved it.......

Become one with nature...................Then marinate it.

[​IMG]

6. Gandolf

Gandolf 1/2 ton status

Don't ya hate it when that happens? Here's my best guess. When the rear tire hits the bump and pitches the rear up, it transfers weight to the front just as the front hits a bump. (you can see the front spring compress about 4-5 inches) The left front wheel is straight a split second before it hits, but is turned to the left a split second after, so he gets bumpsteer. Then the rear tries to get traction but swings to the right as a result of the momentum caused by the left front hitting it's bump. At this point it is slightly sideways and front and rear wheels are spinning. Then the driver fails to correct the steering to the right (he gets it straight but not to the right) and if I'm seeing it clearly, the rear tire continues to spin but the front wheel stops spinning. Did something break in the front? Next it slides backwards and as it does, the front wheel turns left some more making it even more sideways. When the right front comes up off the ground, the steering is turned even more to the left and any chance of control ends. I think he either broke something in the front like an axle or u-joint, or lost the ability to correctly steer as a result of the big bounce. Anyway, I hope nobody got hurt. I wonder if there is any way to get the real story?

'89 K5 Silverado 4" lift w/BFG 33's

7. californiak5

californiak5 1/2 ton status

If you look real close at the rear left tire you can see him blow a bead and send him over quick.

[​IMG] Born to Drive My K5 [​IMG]

8. Cavalry

Cavalry 1/2 ton status

upstate NY(although I cant figure out why)

I agree with gocarter. If he had kept on the throttle he probably would have been ok. If you look the front wheels arent spinning at all as the front end starts sliding to the left. A prime example IMO of not driving with big enough balls. Shame about the rig, looked pretty clean. Anyone from here?

Luke
    84 K5
    [​IMG]

9. Stoopalini

Stoopalini 1/2 ton status

A common technique fo climbing hills is to gas it all the way up, then let off as the front tires crest the hill. The momentum will carry you the rest of the way.

This driver definitely let of the gas way too early. It looks like he got spooked and let off the throttle when the font started to slip.
    I think if he had juiced it and cut to the right, he would have been fine; even with the blown bead.

He probably would have made it right up if he had juiced it.

Just my opinion,

Thomas

-- '84 K5 Blazer --
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com>http://Stoopalini.coloradok5.com</A>

10. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

Yeah, looks to me like he needed to counter steer back to the right and keep it gased.

Will work for parts, beer and sex.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/3.73's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com>http://mccordhouse.freeservers.com</A>

11. Scoobydoo

Scoobydoo 1/2 ton status

Phoenix / Peoria ARIZONA. (75thAve/DeerValley)

I totaly agree with the last two guy's !
    As soon as it started to go left he needed to cut the wheel right an gas it, he would have been OK.
    What he did is, when it went left, he let off the gas, it looks like he may have even hit the brakes.
    On loose hills like that, You always want to keep it straight and never lose momentum.

Maybe it stalled !!! so it wasn't his fault at all????

Scooby Dooby Doo !!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by scoobydoo on 01/11/01 10:42 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

12. Josh

Josh Registered Member

The biggest thing I saw wrong is that he stopped, espically sideways. He could have even rolled it back and straightened it out. I don't think he stalled because when he's about 45deg over he guns it again, you can see much dust kicked up. But, who knows hindsite is 20/20.

Josh

13. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Hey Impex, nice picture [​IMG]

(Please direct all hate mail to "Blazer_Boy" because I don't think "BlazerBoy" would appreciate it [​IMG])

14. pcorssmit

pcorssmit 1/2 ton status

It looks like Potato Salad to me. It's a pretty nasty hill, lots of loose rock and bumps in all the wrong places. No, you don't have to go full throttle to get up it, and if you have a soft, bouncy suspension it is easy to get ugly fast. Its the type of hill that a lot of vehicles that don't wheel particularly well go up easier. Crew cab long beds walk right up. I've made it up a couple times, and I've always had to stop part way up and reposition myself a few times. Roll overs are quite common. It's be hind the dump. Usually lots of good entertainment during the safari.

Pete

'83 K5, 350 TBI (ex 6.2), Dana 60/14 bolt, Detroits, 3" lift, 15-39.5x15 TSLs
    '97 Dodge 2500 4x4 CC LB Sport, Cummins 5 spd

15. Confederate9

Confederate9 1/2 ton status

well i have a book that tells how to drive through ALL off road conditions..... and it says never get sideways to the hill.
    we can get a little w/ our wide wheelbases, but not good.
    it looks like with all the loose rocks, he got to the top and started to slide sideways then got too much sideways, and v v v v wala- he rolled
    my opinion

Confederate's w/ K5's!
    '85 K5: BIG BAD AND MEAN
    K5: Because size DOES matter

16. delta9blazer

delta9blazer 1/2 ton status

when it doubt, GAS IT!!!

<font color=purple>delta9blazer</font color=purple>

17. Adrock

Adrock 1/2 ton status

I second that Delta. thats saved me a few times.

Adam
    a.k.a. Adrock
    88 Chevy Blazer FI 383
    Feel the Thunder
    [​IMG]

18. Impex

Impex 1/2 ton status

This is potatoe salad hill, so this would be the same hill he went up? Now i can sorta see why.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Impex on 01/12/01 08:37 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

19. Depdog

Depdog 1/2 ton status Author

I did not read all the posts below, so I dont know what everybody else said. I watched this severl times and if falls under the catagory of [censored] HAPPENS. If you watch closely , the left rear tire blew a bead or cut a sidewall and had instant deflation. There is nothing that the driver could have done that would have saved the rig. He could have stompmed the gas pedal wide open and all that would have done was increase his roll speed because the flat tire would not have pulled, the other side tire would have and pushed it over faster.

Looked EXPENSIVE though.

Depdog

<font color=blue>Weenie K5, little mods' Small Tires!</font color=blue>

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com>http://depdogsk5.coloradok5.com</A>