Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Free 14 bolt FF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Clod_King, Jan 14, 2006.

1. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

I can get a free 14bff out of a an early 80's/late 70's C35. it is a dually set-up though..... now the question is, what do i need to do to get it to single wheel, and should i take the drive shaft? I mean it has got to be stronger then the one on my 1/2 ton right?

2. midnitewarya

midnitewarya Sounds like a problem for future me. Premium Member

To convert the dually to srw you will need to have some SRW hubs from an SRW 14bff. You will also have to ake the drums and the brake backing plate to make sure everything fits. IIRC

As far as the driveshaft, if it fits, take it. Even if it's not stronger, it's always good to have a spare lying around.

3. sandawgk5

sandawgk5 3/4 ton status

Make sure that it is not the Cab and Chassis 14FF as they are too narrow. Practically fit under a Heep with no mods.

Ira

4. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

You can get the SRW stuff. The hubs will swap, but you'll have to move the backing plate flange to make the drums work. Then you have to move the spring and shock mounts to work a 1/2 or 3/4-ton.

IMO the C&C axle is worth a good bunch more that any SRW version. Trade it off or sell it to get right one for your rig.

5. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Check to see that it is a 14BFF and not in fact a Dana 70:

http://coloradok5.com/axleguide.shtml

Also depends on whether the thing is a regular dually or a cab-and-chassis dually. The regular ones *cannot* be converted to the same width as an SRW ... the shafts are longer and the housing (i.e. tubes) physically wider, by several inches.

If it's a C&C axle, the housing is the same as an SRW axle... however, to change the brakes and hubs you'll need to move the backing plates, which means cutting and re-welding the flanges.

Post up a pic or try and measure the WMS of the thing, and we can give you more detail as to what you're looking at. Honestly, if it's a regular dually or a D70, I don't think it's worth it, even at free.

Regular width 14BFF's are not that hard to come by nor expensive that it's worth the hassle. The C&C axle might be worth it, if you have easy access to a welder.

-- A

6. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

it is a cab and chassis I beleive. the truck has one of those dumper beds instead of a normal truck bed. does the D70 have a count of 14 bolts on the pumpkin aswell?

and what is wrong with a D70 anyways?

7. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Dana 70 has 10 bolts on the cover. The one used in GM 1-ton pickups is really wide ~72"(?) vs ~63" for the C&C 14bff vs ~67" for the SRW 14bff. (Sometimes these flatbed/dump/service-body trucks start life as a dually pickup.)

8. atho

atho 1/2 ton status

I was under the impression that the DRW pickup 14 bolt did not start until the '88 C & K (new body style) trucks. it's really wide too, and the axleshafts are longer than other 14 bolt shafts.

9. dremu

Makes sense -- the only wiiide 14bff I've seen is the new-style finned pumpkin and is set up for an IFS truck. Possible they also came on the OBS crew-cabs in 88-91 as well.

It is a big mofo indeed.

-- A

10. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

but is the dana 70 stronger then the 14 bolt?

11. dremu

Not noticeably. Some parts interchange, and you can search and find looong threads about it ... there are more parts for the 14b more widely available, IIRC, but there are better locker options for the 70. I think.

::Shrug:: It's a LOT of work juggling dually parts (my back! my back!) so even free it's debatable worth.

-- A

12. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Its a toss-up IMO. More variations on the D70s that can make it better or worse. The D70HD in particular does have bigger tubes, and (I'm speculating) bigger carrier bearings.

13. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

so should i just pass on the free axle and go for a SRW 14b? or should I get it, and try to trade it at a junk yard for axle I want?

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I never pass on a free axle. :D

15. Clod_King

Clod_King 1/2 ton status

well that is what I thought, but i don't have alot of storage space, so i can only really keep one axle, not a bunch