Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

free flow intake

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Robbyj56, May 17, 2002.

1. Robbyj56

Robbyj56 Registered Member

alright i thought up another one. i need help on how to correctly install a "free flow" intake system. i think that is what you call it. pretty much i want to get rid of the stock intake and throw in a K&N. on the left side there is a connection to the stock intake system, which goes to the valve covers. i know you stick a breather in its spot. on the right front side there is another, smaller, connection. now that i think about it, i think that also eventually leads to a breather, althought there are a number of other connections off of that connection. i assume i can just plug that hole up and it will be fine. but yall double check me on that one, its a new engine (305) and i dont exactly remember how it is laid out. also there is what looks like some kind of sensor on the inside of the intake housing. what is this sensor for? do i need it? what do i do with it when i put the new intake system on? i plan to just simply pick up the edelbrock chrome intake housing at auto zone. any other tips yall have for me feel free to respond. im trying my hardest to learn how to work on this beast before i go to college.

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Fill out your profile, so we'll know where you are and what you drive. /forums/images/icons/cool.gif The stock air cleaner can flow plenty of air. Just drop a K&N filter into it. There's a tube from the snorkel to the exhaust manifold provides intake heat to warm the engine up quicker. The sensor in the housing controls when the valve opens to let cool air in. If you live in a cold climate, it's a good thing to have.

3. Robbyj56

Robbyj56 Registered Member

thanks... my dad said the same thing so i will probably just drop a K&N in there. do you know which K&N model number fits a 1983 305... quadrejet carb? i can probably look that up easily. I live in GA so that valve isnt a necessity, but it does help in the mornings. thanks man