Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

FREE four link set up

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dreadstealth, May 1, 2007.

1. dreadstealth

dreadstealth Registered Member

okay in this thread i want everyone to post. i am looking at getting a bolt on/ weld on four link set up made. i am wondering with just the four links {no shocks, coils, coil overs, leaf springs, brake lines} how much would you deffinately buy a system for. and be honest. no "id pay 50bucks" bull sh*t. any any suggestions for maybe some thing else to offer with the kit. all responses will be the determining factor to see if i will get them built. they will be custom made so if you want to lengthen the wheel base. im very serious about doing it and i want to get the "consumers" response.
    thanks

2. miniwally

miniwally 1/2 ton status Premium Member

If your going to try to sell stuff here consider starting with a vender membership.

3. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Since you wanted "everyone to post", here's my reply: what miniwally said....

4. 55Willy

55Willy 3/4 ton status

you said free in the title so why would I "pay" for it?

5. YZEATER

YZEATER 1/2 ton status

put me in too for a free one.

6. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

Yeah. I dont care what it costs either I call dibs on the "free one." But in all honesty, you need to be more spcific. A four link for front or rear or both? How much lift? Does is include mounting brackets to axle and frame? mounting brackets to what axle? Dana 44 or Dana 60? Coilover mounts or spring and shock mounts included? There is a lot to consider in a 4 link. We need more info...

7. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

Maybe when he has a product to offer he can become a vendor? He is not trying to sell anything or pimp his company from what I read. VENDOR POLICE WOOOOP WOOOOOP PULL OVER YOU ARE UNDER ARREST!!

I paid $600-$700 for all the steel and parts to do my own rear 4 link excluding the air shocks and excluding the 14 bolt truss from BTF. I think a bolt on kit would be a lot more expensive like $1500-$2000 but if there was a weld on kit already done I say $1250-$1500 would be fair considering you get a bulk rate on steel and if you had decent flex joints/heims with a good truss (like BTF or DIY makes) including tabs, not some POS piece of roll bar tubing.

You could offer it in a standard and a "HD" kit with different lower C/A steel for all the people who think they need it, like a standard kit would have a 1 3/4" lower tube with 3/8th wall or the HD could be 2" with a 1/2" wall...etc etc... Maybe have options on what joints a person could get....heims, evo, johnny joints...etc etc...

There are a lot of variables you need to consider and make available. Sounds like a pain, good luck!

8. dreadstealth

first im not selling any thing. second i am looking for suggestions for what some one would pay.

the kit would be a four link front and rear. 8 arms with heims, transfercase cross member with tabs, front and rear axle truss with tabs. 14 bolt and dana 60 applications first and then smaller if able or wanted. simple four link. im looking for suggestions on what to make the arm out of. 1 3/4" lower tube with 3/8th wall, 2" with a 1/2" wall so on and so forth.

oh and the free four link set up was so that people would look at the post. there are alot of things change daily and its hard to get responses. so sorry about any confusion. i would appreciate any and all feedback.

9. mostwanted

mostwanted 1/2 ton status

I would pay $12-1400 for such a product.

10. BoondocK5

BoondocK5 1 ton status Author

Try this out http://coloradok5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=184537 ever=ything a guy wanted to know.

11. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

im probably going to make my lowers out of 2.25"x.375 and the uppers out of 1.5x.25 chromo i think

12. mrdrinksalil

mrdrinksalil 1/2 ton status

At least 2"(.5"wall) on the lowers. I'm not really in the market but i'd have to say 1500 would be a nice price if you could run a 42-44" tire with trimmin. Deff plan on having the front axle more forward for better approach angle and better clearance against rear inner fender and firwall. I'd say leave the rear where it is or move it forward the same as what you moved the front forward. (better weight distribution)

13. supersize75k5

supersize75k5 OrganDonorRacing.com

if I was to buy a kit I would want a large crosmember skid, mounting on the outside and bottom of the frame, 2 inch aluminum lowers, 1 3/4 uppers 7/8 nd 1 inch qa1 rod ends or johny joints. the johny joints are nice for street rigs, come in a few beefy sizes "up to 3 inch"" and are rebuildable.

I spent over 2400 on just my rear suspension and its still not done..

2.5 inch tripple rate resivoir "sp" swayaway coil overs, 2 inch aluminum lowers, 1 1/4 hiems and 7/8 for everything else, and 1.5 inch dom for upper and panhard. kind of a small market witht hese trucks since most of us are cheap bastards and 2500 is more than some of our rigs could sell for.

but I love new products!

I see a rear kit having more use to this group than a front.

14. dreadstealth

i appreciate the honesty and would still like more responses.

15. Paxx

Paxx 1/2 ton status

In all honesty if you plan on actually selling many of these you will need to keep it as cheap and simple as possible.

It would be a good idea to offer a base kit with optional upgrades. That way someone could buy themselves a base model and upgrade the components as they can afford them.

The toughest thing about this is that to make a generic kit you will be making all kinds of sacrifices on the performance of your expensive suspension. These kinds of suspensions characteristics can change dramatically with different lift heights, tire sizes, wheelbases etc.

I think your best bet would be to make one basic kit that will work for a k5 wheelbase, one for a short bed, one for a long bed, etc.
    Choose a standard lift height and tire size, or maybe 2 for each type of vehicle.

Make sure you do a lot of research and homework on the subject and enter everything on a 4 link calculator. Spend a lot of time underneath each of the vehicles.

At any rate good luck. I think it could be profitable if done right but I don't think you will find it to be quite as cheap of a kit as most people will be looking for. Remember too that for the front 4 link you will have to address the steering which opens a whole new can of worms.

~Max

16. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

If you don't understand the engineering required to do proper material selection for link arms, you have no business selling a 4-link kit...

Anyone can locate heims, tabs and tubing. The only thing people will pay a premium price for is your expertise and suspension knowledge. Build ONE kit on your own vehicle......drive it, wheel it, and see if it even works well.

Post up the photos and results of your work. At that point, people can decide for themselves if you have a product worth owning.

:usaflag:

17. dreadstealth

i definately need to do more reasearch on how to set them up correctly. i was going to offer the plans/blueprints on how it would need to be done and then get exact angles of the tabs and heims to maximize the set up. if any one knows of a good place to reasearch the four links let me know. i had peterson 4 wheel drive old magazine about four link set up but it in another state right know.