Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Free Motor...

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mikey_d05, Nov 27, 2006.

1. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, not a giveaway thread. I've been thinking about doing a single seater buggy in the distant future. My friend spun a crank bearing on his vortec 4.3 about a year ago. He said he'll give it to me, 100% free, if I come pick it up.

I don't know what's all still on it....no clue if the accessories, computer, throttle body, injectors, etc., are still there. I've also heard that for no apparent reason, a lot of vortech's with bottom end problems end up with a cracked head or two.

This thing worth the drive?

2. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

how far of a drive? could always part out the remains on EBay if it turns out no good.

3. mikey_d05

2 hours from home...he drives a TJ now so I doubt I could convince him to put a dirty old engine in the back of his Jeep and drive it down.

I'll have to inquire as to what's all still on it.

Beater...have you ever heard of the bottom end/cracked head thing on vortec's?

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

cant say that i have. working at the dealership in '01 and '02, if that stuff was really a problem i'm sure i would've seen it more than once or twice, which i didnt. in 8 years of 'Vortec' production, they were pretty common in the shop too. did see alot of intake gaskets and injector spider problems though.

5. K5dreamer

K5dreamer 1/2 ton status

i was also a chevy tech for several years and never heard of a common bottom end or cracked head problem. the 4.3L is a very reliable engine thats basically a 3/4 small block. ive seen naturally asperated 4.3's in excess of 300 hp. because its basically a small block 350 with two cylenders missing, there is a plethora of aftermarket support for it. Also the heads that come with it are basically the vaunted 062 casting vortec heads that came on the R code 350's. same port configuration, you could even hog them out to 2.02/1.60 valves.... although that would be more targeted towards high rpm power than crawling power. Personally i think it would be a great crawler engine if it was set up with the right cam and such.

6. mikey_d05

It'd stay mostly stock. Like I said, this is a way far off in the future build. I'll give him a call later and see what's all left on it.

7. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i was a parts guy for 2 years. the 4.3 is not "basically a 350 with 2 cylinders missing" it is a 350 with 2 cylinders missing. valves, springs, pistons, connecting rods, bearings, everything is the same.

how about a 3.75" stroker crank for a 287ci V6... 3/4 of a 383.

8. mikey_d05

Haha, I want this thing to run without having to chase down a custom tune for it.

Although a stroker V6 sounds interesting...:doah:

Just got off the horn with him...starter, a/c, and alt are gone. Brackets, water pump, intake, injectors are there...he's not sure on the throttle body.

Kert...if you're reading this...got a space upstairs for a Vortec 4.3? :doah:

9. Stomper

Stomper ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ GMOTM Winner

Just put it next too the others...:haha::haha:

I've got a 93' vortec also, so if you need some parts.....fyi

10. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Screw off Mikey...i need that room up their to store my 10 bolts until some poor sap wants them

Id jump on that especially if its got computer etc.

11. mikey_d05

Alt shouldn't be hard to find, a/c I could care less about, only thing I might be in need of is a throttle body. I know it doesn't have the computer, it was swapped for a junkyard motor when he blew up this one.

Besides, I could hold it for ransom when Drey windows the block in his DD.

12. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Screw that when my 4.3 Vortec dies im gonna figure our some way to throw in a Vortec 350...MORE POWER(Evil Laugh)

13. mikey_d05

Wow, a stock 5.7, how oh how will my cammed 8.2 ever keep up. :rolleyes:

14. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

15. mikey_d05

The torque numbers on the early vortec's aren't that impressive.

16. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Maybe I'm full of sh!t, but like I said in my PM's, most all vortecs 4.3/5.0/5.7's (that I have personally pulled the heads off or seen in the dealership) when they spin a rod bearing they have at least one cracked head.

Found this post backing me up a little:

http://coloradok5.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1466928&postcount=12

Maybe he can back this up. Or maybe it has to do with the temperatures down here. Alot of people talk about overheating and cracking the heads, maybe that could include elevated oil temperatures from a spun rod bearing.

But at anyrate, it's free, maybe some gas money to go pick it up, so if there are some or all of the parts you need to get it up and ready, you'll come out ahead.

17. mikey_d05

Well, I'm not banking on it and the project is a couple years off yet so I'll go up and snag it and have Terry tear into it whenever.

If it's got a cracked head, I'll find a motor that has a cracked head on the other side. :p:

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

just out of curiousity, what kind of junkyard has the equipment/money to mag EVERY head that goes out the door. :thinking: i'm calling bull**** on this one.

19. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

From the motors I have seen, the cracks are easy enough to spot with the naked eye.

There was one set that I had kept, that I couldn't see any cracks, I ended up trading them to another member and he had them cleaned up and checked for cracks. One wasn't but the other one was. I think that if I had looked hard enough I could have seen it.

20. cybrfire

cybrfire 1 ton status Vendor GMOTM Winner

Theres room upstairs Mikey! I have 3 of them and may use one or all for buggy projects in the future. Of course there is the other motor option but maybe I shouldn't go there.:haha: